Bleeding 24/7

Hello :slight_smile: I am so relieved to have found this site. There are a lot of strong ladies on here and I hope I can have the same strength everyone else has. I was diagnosed because I started spotting in October, got my smear done in November, and then bled non stop every day until December. When I went back and was checked out again, the nurse said everything looked ok. I got my smear results back in January and they said high grade cell changes. I didnt have my colposcopy until the end of February. At the colposcopy she put the speculum in and I started gushing blood all over the table and the floor. She told me my cervix did not look normal at all, and only took one biopsy because she couldnā€™t stop the bleeding. I have been bleeding every day since November, and had to have a blood transfusion last week because my hemoglobin was so low. I donā€™t go to see the oncologist until March 23rd which is about 3 weeks away. My questions are, has anyone bled this much before treatment, and did treatment stop the bleeding? I havenā€™t been able to go out anywhere without wearing a pad and wondering if Iā€™m leaking all the time. Itā€™s also making me really weak and anemic. Iā€™m really depressed about it. My other question is did anyone have bleeding like this and still was at a treatable stage? I am terrified because I am worried I am terminal and wonā€™t live much longer. I have 2 kids and I get so depressed all the time and just want to give up because I am going to leave them without a mom and I feel useless. Sorry for ranting on and on.

Oh honey, I just saw your post and had to jump in here because I had the same questions and didnā€™t feel that others had the same experience. Youā€™ll be ok. Deep breaths. I know itā€™s all so scaryā€¦weā€™ve been there. But then you realize that this is treatable and youā€™ll be ok. Youā€™ll get through this.

My journey started when I just randomly started bleeding heavily one day. I was so scared. I went to the gyno and had pap done and then colpo. I was spotting in between periods and some days I had to wear a tampon all the time just to be safe and go about life. During my colpo, it was super uncomfortable because I think she had me so wide open (she was a resident and wasnā€™t very gentle so I think that had a lot to do with it too). I wasnā€™t bleeding that day at all prior to seeing her. She took one biopsy and said it was like ā€œturning on a faucet,ā€ so she didnā€™t biopsy the other two spots she saw. She put some ā€œMonselsā€ yellow paste on to stop the bleeding and it did. She asked if I bled every time I put a tampon in and I said no. She seemed much more concerned about the bleeding than me, but I think thatā€™s because she was young and still learning.

But then when it came time for my period a week laterā€¦it was a fiasco. I thought I was hemorrhaging and couldnā€™t make the bleeding stop. I was passing large clots the size of my palm - I was terrified. I called my mom to come over (sheā€™s a nurse) before I was about to call for an ambulance. It was not normal for me at all. I felt like you and couldnā€™t leave the houseā€¦let alone the bed. I was back and forth between the bed, toilet, and shower. Lying down kept the bleeding at bay and eventually after a few days, it was more manageable.

A couple days later, scared and still bleeding (and seriously considering purchasing adult diapers), I went to the gyno oncologist and got my official CC diagnosis. She said my tumor seemed ā€œangryā€ and said it can bleed because it is so vascular. I asked her when it would stop and she said when treatment (radiation) began.

After that, I went through egg harvesting for two weeks and taking the injections and steroids stopped the bleeding altogether. I would occasionally bleed when they did the ultrasound if they werenā€™t super gentle. Then I had the egg harvesting surgery where they pierce the vaginal wall to get to my ovaries. Came home with very minor bleeding from that. I expected it to be much more. Then I had my period a week later and my fertility doc said to expect another fiasco and it wasā€¦completely normal! Even after the vaginal trauma of retrieving 20 eggs. So that told me that the abnormal bleeding was most likely due to my colposcopy.

I bled a tiny tiny bit since then, but started treatment last week. One radiation in and my tumor is no longer bleeding at all. Iā€™m now 4 rads in and 1 chemo. HUGE difference. My oncologist came to see me at my first chemo (Iā€™m calling it the ā€œJuice Barā€) and asked about the bleeding. Told her itā€™s gone and was most likely from my colpo.

I was diagnosed at stage 3A and my doctors say it has a ā€œ75-80% cure rateā€. Iā€™m currently one week into treatment and feeling good. You got this. Itā€™s scary and it sucks, but youā€™ve got a heap of women here to support you and answer questions. Iā€™m in the US, but shared this website with my nurse navigator so she can share with others since the forum has been so valuable to me. Ohā€¦and if you donā€™t have them alreadyā€¦try a pair of ā€œperiod pantiesā€. HUGE lifesaver and so convenient. I didnā€™t want to like them but theyā€™ve been wonderful. Stay strong and PM if you want to chat more. Sending hugs.

xx
Cat

7 Likes

Hey max , I had some bleeding too not as bad as where I needed a transfusion but I did need to take iron pills. Felt like the bleeding got worse after the pap smear , my process took a few months too. I had some bleeding in the month of November towards the end then had a pap smear in January by April when they finally did my colposcopy I started bleeding quite a bit everyday, they said my cervix looked bad & mentioned it was most likely cancer. I had cancer with a 6cm tumor I was stage 3. I am over 3 years in remission, next month will be 4 years since I was diagnosed. Sending good vibes your way , I know this has got to be a stressful time for you.

1 Like

Is it true that this is the scariest time, waiting from diagnosis until when you know staging and a treatment plan? I am just so scared and I am trying to take it one day at a time but I have kids and I get anxious thinking about leaving them and my husband behind. Iā€™m hoping once there is a plan I will feel a bit better. Thatā€™s so good that you are in remission :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Max,

I was stage 3b and had no bleeding at all, itā€™s so different for every ā€˜bodyā€™ so donā€™t panic that you will be advanced, your body is just reacting in a different way.
I felt the same way, you hear cancer and immediately think the worst but I am now in remission less than a year after diagnosis (May 2022). The treatments they have now are so fantastic, you are in the best hands xx

4 Likes

Hi sorry to hear this news,but you are in the right place for good advice. When i was bleeding heavily i was given some sort of medication to slow it down or stop it. I canā€™t remember the name if it(not much help),but it would be worth a call to your doc/cancer nurse.
Also any thoughts of giving up should be put out of your mind,i no it easier said than done,but you need to concetrate on getting better and staying strong first of all for you,then your family.
It is hard,best of luck with it,:pray::pray:xxx

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I really hope I am still treatable. My mind starts running wild and imagining the worst things. I think that is human nature to do that though.

Thank you. I will try my hardest to stay strong and try to beat this. I think I just have down days sometimes and those are the days I feel like giving up. I wonā€™t though.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had to have 2 blood transfusions in less than a week because Iā€™m bleeding so much. Iā€™m really scared and donā€™t know how to handle this anymoreā€¦

Hi Max,

I just saw your post and your experience looks like similar to mine. I was bleeding after my smear test and I ended up to A&E as the bleeding was so heavy and wouldnā€™t stop. You need to take medication that can stop the bleeding or at least to minimise it. I was prescribed back then tranexamic which stopped the bleeding while I was waiting for treatment. Are you taking anything?

Xxx

1 Like

I am taking tranexamic acid at the moment. It wors sometimes but some days I still have heavy bleeding.

1 Like

Hey hun, Iā€™m so sorry youā€™re going through this. I promise you it doesnā€™t mean it isnā€™t treatable. I couldnā€™t keep up with the bleeding before and partly during treatment, to the point where Iā€™d change a pad and by the time I left the bathroom I needed a new one. But then all of a sudden it stopped! I started treatment last April, and I havenā€™t bled at all (other than slight spotting) since the May. I was stage 2b and touch wood am all clear atm. Tranexamic acid didnā€™t work for me either, but I was given iron infusions when needed and once the bleeding stopped I felt so much better xxx

2 Likes

Hopefully I can get it sorted out sooner than later. Iā€™m so tired of bleeding. Thank you for responding to my post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I see Iā€™m not the only one. At my first Colposcopy two weeks ago the minute the Gynae put the speculum in it was like a scene from CSI or Dexter. Iā€™m seriously tempted to seek sponsorship from a Sanitary Pad company. Iā€™m dreading my second biopsy on Friday (first one she didnā€™t get a big enough sample). Wish I had a tube of that Silver Nitrate to stop the post biopsy bleeding Iā€™d stick the whole thing inside (apparently itā€™s expensive so they try not to use too much).
Iā€™m sorry to hear of your situation and sending lots of love and luck xx

2 Likes

@CarolineE I wish they would give us a whole tube of that stuff to stop the bleeding as well lol. I am so tired of bleeding. I am waiting for my oncologist meeting tomorrow, and the bleeding just has my mind wandering all over the place wondering if Iā€™m going to be untreatable or not. Hopefully itā€™s not as bad as I am imagining it is. I hope everything goes well for you. If you ever need someome to talk to, you can private message me if you want.

1 Like

Hi maxpower,
Just wondering how you are going?
Did you get your stage or treatment plan?

@Leelee09 I have my mri and pet scan in a week, and then I will find out a bit after that what my stage and treatment plan are.

1 Like

Does the bleeding stop with treatment? Iā€™m having a bliod transfusion for the 3rd time, and itā€™s getting so hard to deal with. At this point I have to go in pretty much every week to get transfusions from blood loss.

Iā€™m so sorry youā€™re still having such a tough time with the bleedingšŸ˜” have you started treatment yet? My bleeding stopped around week 4 of chemo rads, it was like someone suddenly turned the tap off! x

1 Like

I still have to get my mri and pet scan to determine stage. My oncologist thinks I will most likely need chemo and radiation. Hopefully I will get my mri and scan soon so I can start treatment soon.