Abnormal borderline changes, so much anxiety!

So a year on from getting a HPV positive result and going once again for my smear test to be retested, it came back as borderline abnormal results and I’ve got to go and have a colposcopy to see what is going on I guess. I’m absolutely terrified it’s developed into cervical cancer or that it will by the time I get to see someone. It’s not until the end of January either so I guess I’m gonna be worried about all of this over Christmas. I’ve also got a lot going on with my mum being stuck in Australia right now after falling and breaking her hip and wrist so I’m a little stressball!

Seeing as I regularly get cramps in my pelvic and lower back region, as well as every month around my pelvic floor since I came off the combined pill a year ago after my HPV positive diagnosis I’m now worried it’s something bad…

How many people have had borderline changes that have gone away? Or what can I expect from this colposcopy? Could it be worse? I don’t even know what to expect from the colposcopy as I’ve literally never had one before :sob: I hope someone will be able to ease my mind about this whole thing a little bit???

Thank you for reading!

Hiya,

I had my colposcopy done on 17th Nov (high risk HPV and abnormal cells), still waiting on results.

The consultant took me into a consulting room first and explained everything about the procedure, HPV and risks of CC, the whole process. She was really nice & really thorough at explaining. She did say however that if I needed biopsies the waiting time for results is currently around 6 months in Scotland!

The procedure itself was okay, I was always more worried about the results than the procedure itself. I had to sit in a chair that tilted back with both feet in stirrups & hands under my bum for her to see my cervix clearly. She put the speculum in and had a look through the colposcope then applied the vinegar solution to look at the abnormal cells, this stung a wee bit but wasn’t too bad. There was a screen beside me so I could see the procedure if I wanted to & she talked me through what she was doing the whole time. I watched until she took the biopsies but couldn’t look once I saw my cervix bleed (perfectly normal with this procedure). She then applied a solution which stops the bleeding (silver nitrate I think?) & I was done. I was left to get dressed & left with a wipe to clean myself up if I wanted to & a pad - I had taken one with me, the ones they give you are like the nappy style ones lol.

I bled for a few days after & had cramps for up to a week. I also passed black gritty stuff when I peed sometimes, TMI lol which again is perfectly normal. I think you only get cramping with biopsies.

All in all the procedure was okay. There was the consultant, assistant & trainee in the room with me & they chatted to me the whole time, keeping me distracted.

Now just the long wait for results. Trying to not think about it too much when I could have such a long wait.

Good luck with your appointment, hope that helps a bit. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello there!!

Just wanted to say I felt exactly the same as you when receiving borderline changes this year on my 3rd pos hpv result. All I can tell you is the colposcopy is nothing to worry about at all. Mine was quick, the biopsy I can honestly say was painless, I felt it but not pain, and I’m a wimp!! Please dont let this ruin your Xmas, borderline is something they can sort if there’s anything there at all, mine turned out to be no cell changes at all and I’m back on 3 year normal smears. I would have no hesitation having another colposcopy. I had no bleeding, just my period arrived about a week earlier then usual, now it’s gone back to normal. Just remember you are being checked and doing the right thing, coloposcopys are pretty common i think, it just feels so overwhelming when you get told your having one! You will be totally fine, will be over before you know it x😊xx

1 Like

thank you both for your responses! it really helps to know others have been through abnormal results and it’s not been too bad as well as the reassurance you’ve got from the consultants and nurses etc! I am also hoping things won’t be too bad, I’m quite anxious about the results too more than anything, and the wait for however long to know how things are! 6 months in Scotland is a LONG time though, i can’t imagine how scary it must be to wait that long! :((

I guess my main worry is that I could have something sinister already and not know about it, but seeing as it’s such a slow growing thing I’m trying to keep that in mind that it’s unlikely to progress so quickly? I just hope that the smear tests results are accurate and it’s not worse than it says. So I just have to keep in mind that the extra wait for the colposcopy and results won’t progress things too quickly and that I’ll be in good hands.

I’m glad to hear that cell changes can revert and go back to normal too, that’s promising at least! I know my immune system is a mess atm and not the best but I’m trying not to let myself get worked up over that.

I did speak to a nurse from Jo’s as well just to try and get some clarity on things because I get a little worried about everything which helped a little, but I guess in the back of my mind there’s still a niggling anxiety about what things are like and how things will be when I get to the colposcopy. I think it’s because I’ve been scared of this kind of thing since all the awareness around it came into fruition and I had a panic over some symptoms back in 2012 that made me believe I had something bad, but luckily turned out to be something else.

Anyway hopefully I can keep my mind off worrying about this too much and enjoy my xmas too, as I don’t want to spend the whole time feeling stressed and anxious.
I’m sure the next two months will likely go quickly but atm every day feels sooo slow haha. again though I appreciate your supportive replies! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you for your info. I have just got results of pap test, borderline and positive HPV. I am waiting for an appointment for Colposcopy. I am worried sick, not eating or sleeping :cry: Do you think I’m worrying more over this than I should be?

Please please don’t let this consume your every thought, I was exactly the same and it ruined me for months. My results were the same as you and I talked myself into thinking borderline IS cancer and it really isn’t!!! It’s not even anywhere near and whatever they find they will sort it, hopefully you’ll be like me and they’ll find absolutely nothing! You will be ok, It’s a worry, I always stressed after every smear and when i got the letter saying I had this thing it floored me. It’s so so common this hpv thing. Enjoy your Xmas safe in the knowledge you have sorted whatever it is early enough for it to turn into nothing. Big hug😊

2 Likes

Thank you Hpvpants, I can honestly say, your words have really made me feel better :blush: I hope all is well with you and I wish you a merry Christmas. Thank you x

1 Like

Hello, I had a borderline cells, vaginal atrophy, and HPV 16 and 18 positive result on my smear test in the autumn. I went for my very first colposcopy, and honestly it was ok. I made a point of shaving my legs and trimming my bush before I went - which seems daft but it felt important.
I talked to the colposcopist first in their office, and she took a medical history, I explained that my last smear test at the GPs had been really unusually horrendous ( and blamed on being menopausal - which had made me feel awful) and she was totally brilliant and explained that she could use as much gel as she liked and pain relief, then a nurse talked me through going into a cubicle and taking my leggings and pants off, and they’d left a towel to wrap round for modesty - but I did have a long top on anyway - and you keep your socks on if you want ( I did) They had a special chair to sit on - which hoisted me up so she could see - she was sort of low down between my legs. There was a screen showing my cervix. The nurse sat with me and talked to me the whole time. The colposcopist explained about using lignocaine gel to numb me, and was really careful - much better than having a smear. Then I put my kit back on - they leave you a rather large NHS issue sanitary pads to put on ( I advise buying your own to take in with you) then I went back to the colposcopist to have another talk - and slightly disconcertingly to see a colour picture of my cervix. Had a discharge for about a week from the stuff they put on your cervix to make the cells show up. But they were really nice in the appointment and it felt ok.
Unfortunately, because of my age, I had to go away and use estrogen for four weeks (for the vaginal atrophy) and go back for a second colposcopy which was tough to handle mentally ( personally I think they should prescribe the estrogen straightaway when they send the first appointment, to save the extra four week delay) So I’ve had the second colposcopy done before Christmas and had biopsies done by the consultant - and it was a bit more pulling around with anaesthetic - but again not really worse in practice than a smear test - and certainly nothing like as bad as the recent horrid one at the GPs. I was a bit more panicky and felt a bit queasy and faint and said so, but the doctor and nurses were all lovely and reassuring and kind - I had to cough when the consultant asked me to, while it was going on. I’ve still got a bit of a discharge two and a half weeks later - but it’s reducing a lot. Had some yucky black stuff come out a couple of days ago which is the liquid bandage stuff coming away which is a bit weird to see.

I am very worried waiting for the results letter, so pretty scared, but to be fair - if the next procedure is similar it won’t be a big thing physically. ( Possibly emotionally of course - I’ve done a lot of comfort eating since this started)
I feel better for writing this down actually.

1 Like

My update is that after over a year of HPV 16 and 18 positive, an abnormal borderline smear, and a second colposcopy mid December, that my biopsy is actually clear. It was excruciating waiting for the result to come though (only came last week) and presumably because the consultant had to open the cervical canal to reach my transformation zone ( I’m 65, and post menopausal so my transformation zone wasn’t visible) I’ve had a watery bloody, and then greyish discharge for five weeks - but apparently it’s not an infection - it just re-started up each time I grabbed the hoover or carried shopping).

Sympathy to anyone waiting, it’s been horrible waiting all this time and I don’t think I’m fully over it yet - though very grateful of course. Now need to see when/ if this HPV positive thing changes.

1 Like

I’m so glad to hear that for you Jen! It sounds like it’s been a difficult time for you too! It must be so relieving to get that result now :slight_smile: I really hope I will have a similar result too…

i’m not really sure what I should do personally as my colposcopy is on the 31st but it falls likely to be when my period is gonna be, and I don’t know if I’ll need to reschedule because of that. I also don’t know for sure if my period will come at that time or not as it’s been showing up early lately so it’s harder to predict :sob: I tried to call the clinic to see if i should reschedule but i’ve been unable to get anyone to answer the phones at all! So I don’t have much hope for getting through in time lol.

Anyway, here’s hoping there continues to be positive news for everyone!! I really don’t want more bad luck this year haha…

2 Likes

Thanks Lu, I think the waiting before and after is almost the hardest part, it was nice to talk to the Jo’s trust helpline, really helped me. Is there something on their website or the NHS one about appointments when you have a period? Or perhaps your GP surgery might be able to advise you. I was really worried before Christmas about still having a discharge after my biopsy ( the NHS leaflet I was given said it would only last a week) and the nurse I spoke to at my surgery was really helpful. They arranged an antibiotic prescription in case I was heading for an infection over the holiday weekend, but I haven’t needed to use it I was also able to leave a telephone message for the colposcopy secretary at the hospital. So perhaps one of those options might work for you?

I did feel a huge relief, but I think worrying for that long takes a little while to get over. And I still have the dodgy HPV- which is on my mind a bit. I think I’m going to ask Jo’s Trust and the hospital and the GP about the HPV because the consultant letter says I wouldn’t need another pap and HPV test for three years now. Though hopefully the HPV has a chance of clearing up in that time.

Hope you get your colposcopy on time and everything is clear for you too x

1 Like

Hi everyone,

thought I’d report back as I had my colposcopy today. Luckily my period had eased enough that I wasn’t having much bleeding at all (they usually last 3 days now or so…)

When I got in there, I was VERY nervous and shaky but the nurses were all very nice and tried their best to keep me at ease. The procedure itself wasn’t as bad as I anticipated… I hate having a smear anyway so it kind of felt just like that but a little bit more uncomfortable as they obviously had to put the liquid on the cervix etc. After doing that and looking she decided to take some biopsies just to be sure things were okay, for that they gave me local anasthetic because I was super anxious lol. It didn’t actually hurt as much as I psyched myself up for, fortunately.

Although she said that she thinks things are okay, there’s just a small bit she wasn’t sure about that could have been mild cervical changes or something, though she said she didn’t see any cancer so I should put that out of my mind and not worry lol. However, apparently if the biopsy comes back clear, they do put me back on the three yearly smear, which is odd. I would have thought having HPV would mean i’d be on the yearly smear…? If the changes are just mild they would send me for another smear in 6 months. If they are moderate or more (which she doubted) they would call me back in for a procedure I imagine.

Other than that she said she thinks it’s likely to be mild changes or nothing at all, but she doesn’t think I should worry. Said if I hadn’t heard anything in 8 weeks to contact them and ask (though it’ll likely be longer since I’m going on holiday around that time lol).

Just figured there might be other people just as concerned about their procedure and it might give them peace of mind!

I guess I don’t really know what to expect now as I’m usually quite nervous about the after-effects of this kind of thing. What to look out for in terms of infection or bleeding or whatnot. When I can resume normal activities etc.

@Jen2 Did you ever find out about the 3 years callback despite the HPV? I’m guessing this is standard practice now as they said the same to me but i’m gonna be nervous that the HPV will progress in to something if it’s left lol.

Hi LuSmith, so glad your colposcopist says you haven’t got to worry about anything serious - that’s really excellent news.
Interesting that you’re likely to be on a three year recall too

What I did was write a long letter to my consultant who did the biopsies asking about the three year recall, and other stuff, and whether it was worth having private smears in-between, and posted it to the hospital, and I got a call from the colposcopy clinic secretary this morning to book me in for another appointment with the consultant to go through everything I asked in my letter in person - which I’m fairly amazed by actually - so I shall report back when the appointment comes through. Meanwhile I can totally recommend writing letters to your NHS gynae team.

My watery discharge from the biopsies lasted five and a half weeks - quite shocked, didn’t expect that. Talked to the nurse at the GPs before Christmas because I was worried by how long it took to clear up, and she says that having to have the the endocervical canal opened up for the biopsies would have made my healing take longer. ( This was because I’m older and so my transformation zone had disappeared up inside my cervix :scream:)

Bleeding actual blood after a biopsy is a sign of infection, plus pain and a temperature apparently, but these didn’t happen to me. They just told me to rest up for a day afterwards - not do the vacuuming and lifting.

Jen x

Yeah I was surprised about the idea of the three year callback too if they’re clear, just the thought of having HPV alone worries me lol. I’d be interested to hear what your consultant tells you in case it’s helpful! It’s good you managed to get another appointment scheduled to go through it though, hopefully they’ll be able to explain things.

I could try and also write to them I guess but I don’t have much hope in them writing back haha! The hospital where I am isn’t the best when it comes to communication but it might be worth trying maybe just out of curiosity. I think depending on my results if I’m still worried I’ll write to them somehow.

Ah wow, five and a half weeks must be a long time! I’m guessing watery discharge was a normal part of your recovery for you? I have no idea of how it went when they took the biopsies personally for me lol I was too busy crushing the nurse’s hand and trying not to panic.

Oh I’ll keep that in mind! I didn’t realize bleeding would have been a sign of infection. Hopefully I don’t get anything to worry about lol, I’m a bit of a hypochondriac at times so I bet if I notice anything I’ll start worrying haha! I have slight tenderness but I think I guess it’s to be expected maybe. I’m just resting up now and not doing anything much. Hopefully it’ll heal in good time.

Thanks for the reply and hoping your next appointment goes smoothly and you get the answers you need too!! xxx

1 Like

Thanks. Hope you get your results soon and they are ok, the wait is really hard, be kind to yourself.

Five and half weeks was interminable! And having to use pads. I was starting to think something horrible was happening ( the NHS leaflet said 7 days!). But was just going to ring the surgery again and it stopped thankfully. I could see it was clearing up though, as it reduced and some days stopped - but then restarted if I walked too fast, or vacuumed, for example. I think it says gentle walking helps healing though. The gross bit was the liquid bandage coming away like a lump of black seaweed - or like the they say, a blob of soggy coffee grounds. Luckily I’d seen a picture on the web someone posted, so wasn’t too freaked out :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Unfortunately I spoke too soon, and having some bleeding (light brown/pink/red) and a funky smell which has accelerated my anxiety. I now don’t know whether it is a possible infection and I should go to an our of hours doctor (which I want to avoid doing) or whether this is normal :sob:

I’m a mess right now haha.

I hope the bleeding and discharge has stopped for you now, mine obviously went on for weeks, but the nurse at my GP practice was very helpful and was able to prescribe antibiotics for me to pick up at the chemist, in case I stated to get pain, bleeding, pus, or a bad smell indicating an infection.

@Jen2 Thanks Jen! The bleeding stopped, I was still having a slightly smelly yellow discharge I was still from time to time which I was gonna get treated but unfortunately the doctor gave me antibiotics I couldn’t take and I’ve been struggling to get a replacement for them since that day lol. Finally got a prescription sent off to my pharmacy today but now I’m on other antibiotics for a UTI, and I don’t really wanna be throwing so many at my body at once so I’ll wait a bit longer to finish the course and then start the gel for the possible infection. I never know if it is one or not since sometimes I wonder if it’s just thrush or if it’s because of the UTI or even if it’s just still the healing process… the smell has cleared quite a bit and now I just notice a little of the yellowy discharge from time to time so it’s definitely not as bad as it was…

Oh poor you!! That’s really horrid for you. Glad it’s not as bad as it was.

Though perhaps you could look at it as getting all the antibiotics out of the way in one go, and give your body extra time to recover afterwards?

I think the cervix antibiotics are quite specific - I was given an NHS leaflet by the hospital which said which antibiotics I should have from the GP in case of infection - there was about four different ones I had to tell the GP to try using.

Have you got one of those online forms you can fill out on the GP website for the GP to answer the next day? Perhaps just ask if you can take them at the same time, or which should be taken first? Definitely one to get their advice on I think.

I’ve got the appointment with the consultant in April to ask about the three year wait for the next smear, and the implications for having HPV 16 and 18, so will report back in then

Hope everything clears up for you soon xx

ah I did consider it but because of my health conditions and generally my susceptibility to side effects etc i figured it would be better to wait :frowning: i didn’t get a leaflet about the different antibiotics though, i wish i had now LOL. i think metronidazole should be one of them though i would have thought… though idk if the gel is designed for it so much. i’m kind of a difficult person as i’m allergic to too many things haha. but my lower vaginal swab i took myself (with difficulty) came back negative so that was one good thing however the urine sample i did soon after i had the colposcopy had mixed growth and also e-coli growth so idk whats going on :pensive:

i’ll try and take the metrogel when i can and see how things go and hope it clears up!! if not i’ll report back to the GP! hopefully you get some answers as to the wait and such too considering the HPV results. i hope my results come back okay! on one hand the idea of not having anything wrong with the sample that’s biopsied is great but on the other hand i hate being left with HPV to get worse again over three years… what if they missed anything?! what if it worsens again…?
but that’s just my health anxiety talking i guess lol.

Thanks and wishing you the best as well! xxx