HPV positive and borderline abnormal

Hi, I am a first time poster and very anxious. I have been having clear smear tests until my last one a few weeks ago. It says I’m HPV positive and borderline abnormal cells. What does borderline abnormal mean? I am terrified as have recently started rebuilding my life after a terrible divorce 8 years ago. I’m now just married 7 months and feel devastated. We were planning to go on holiday in 4 weeks and now from looking at bikinis I am now just full of dread and fear. Anyone else had these results and what is usually the wait time for a coloscopy?

Hi there. I received these same results a few days ago. My appointment was in 4 weeks but managed to get a cancellation for 2 weeks time. I’m petrified as this is my first abnormal smear too (I’m 37). I can’t think of anything else at the moment. I’ve been searching google but given up with that as it’s all very contradicting. I’ve got an appointment with my GP on Monday to discuss the results. I no how your feeling and I hope your OK xxx

1 Like

Hi
I’m in a similar situation, had smear test December, had been waiting for my results, I got a phone call saying they had a cancellation for a colposcopy the next day. I hadn’t even had my smear result letter in. They took biopsies during my colposcopy and I go back Friday to discuss results. It is a very anxious time. Try and stay off google as it fry’s your brain. Try stay positive. Hope all goes ok x

2 Likes

Thank you both. I am sorry to hear about your experiences too. I think today I’ve been occupied and hoping I get a letter. I did have one but it was for a breast screening! I’m 53 so I guess it is going to be all about screening going forward. Wishing you luck and patience going forward.

2 Likes

Hi there, to be honest Borderline is one of the best abnormal smears you can get. I had HPV positive & borderline cell changes back in 2016. I went for a colposcopy and they took a biopsy (you might not even need a biopsy) and from there they said there are no cell changes but repeat smear in 12 months. All of my smears thereafter were normal until Jan 2022, which has just come back as HPV positive & low grade changes. I am currently awaiting biopsy results from my recent colposcopy. There is nothing to fear. You do not have cancer, you might even have cell changes. I do remember freaking out totally when I got my first abnormal letter though so you aren’t alone there.

2 Likes

@MillerS Thank you. I think I have calmed down since joining this forum, so thank you. And as soon as I saw my husband I felt about 20 times better. He was away when I got my letter so had to wait till the next day. I can’t imagine how scary it is if you are completely unsupported. If I didn’t have him, I have no family I could turn to. This forum is really good at helping fill that gap. Thank you

@Tee1 Let me know how things go for you. Hopefully the GP will be able to explain. Try not to Google as it is like going down a rabbit hole and I’ve stopped myself. Not because I think ignorance is bliss, but to just give me time to process the result and not catastrophise because I need to go in for further examination. I’m trying to do one step at a time.

Hi hope you’re ok. I know how you feel had my first smear October, results November saying hpv positive and borderline changes. December had colposcopy and they took biopsys as consultant thought cells were deeper and maybe cin 2. 25th jan my results from biopsy were negative and have to have repeat smear in a year. Honestly the waiting is the worst at first I let the anxiety take over and it was making miserable. Only thing I kept thinking to keep me sane was that stress will only make things worse and be bad on my body and being upset anxious and stressed won’t change whatever is going on down there. Let me know how you get on xxx

@Lauren26 Thanks. I have been waiting for an appointment and then decided to call the hospital. Anyone with my results are classed as routine and are on a long waiting list as they are now seeing backlogged patients from July 2021! I can’t wait 7 months! I asked to be put on a cancellation list after Im back fromy holiday in March. I hope I get seen soon after that. Right now I’m just focussing on other things. Yearly screens are probably not a bad thing. Waiting for them to come round is tough though.

Waiting is the hardest every day was awful for me! I asked to go on cancellation! Even ring more often just to keep reminding and prompt them. Luckily my trust was with 6 weeks of results. I’ve read a lot where people have said same thing as you tho and contemplated going private x

I managed to get a cancellation and had my colposcopy today. I would definitely recommend going on a cancellation waiting list if you are waiting for a colposcopy. I am now waiting for results which take 4 - 6 weeks. I am also going to look into TCA treatment for HPV.

1 Like