Would really like some advice x

Hi everyone, I've never posted anything on here before but I'd be so grateful of someone would maybe put my mind at rest. It's regarding my wife (we are in a same sex marriage) for the past 7/8 years she's been having varying degrees of spotting between her periods,it's anywhere from a week after her period has finished up until her next period...sometimes on and off the whole time (luetal phase)?? Sometimes it starts a week before her period,sometimes it's just in the middle of her cycle,she also occasionally has spotting after exercise maybe once every few months. She doesn't seem concerned at all,when all this spotting first came about i marched her to doctors for a smear (18 months after spotting started) smear was Normal...we went to the doctor after who said her periods are so regular so it would be a shame to put her on the pill...anyway this has still been carrying on for the next 5 years,her smear is 2 years overdue (despite my constant nagging) I've booked her in for Thursday! But id like to ask you ladies if you've heard of anything like this before,or did anyone have symptoms like this...how fast does cervical cancer grow,could the smear 5 years ago have missed something or would she be very poorly by now?? I have very bad anxiety honestly and I can't eat because I'm scared...I feel a fraud for posting on here but I have no one to really talk to about this? Any advice I'd be so grateful!! Xxx

Hello, sorry to hear you are so worried.

My experience was constant spotting, actually I would describe it as more like a bloody discharge and after having never had anything like that before I went to the Dr's after about 5 weeks as it wasn't going away. However, whilst bleeding between periods is one symptom, women experience lots of different symptoms and some don't have any at all, so there really isn't anyway of knowing what it is without a smear test and/or any other relevant medical investigation.

Generally, cervical cancer is relatively slow to progress, although this isn't always the case. It is also considered to be a very treatable cancer.

I understand your concern and I'm sure you will be worried until you know for sure what is going on. But please try not to overthink things, it could all turn out to be something very minor!

Your wife is, of course, responsible for her own decisions, but if you can do make sure she goes for the smear test...they are not always 100% accurate but they are a lifesaving measure and drastically reduce an individuals' chances of developing cervical cancer.

All the best of luck to you both and please don't feel like a fraud, this is what the forum is here for :)

My experience is that I had discharge, for about a year. My smear test came back last week as "abnormal High Grade (severe) dyskariosis" - which meant I had to have the cells cut out on Friday in my Colposcopy. I had LLETZ.

They say that cells develop within a three year window to cancerous cells - which is why smear tests are done every three years. This is not to say that your wife has that though. 

She may have symptoms for completely different reasons. x

Hi id just like to thank you both for your replies,you both really helped. After a nearly 4 week wait she got her results which were normal,thank you for both replying,im very grateful x