Worries after biopsy + my story

Hi everyone, I have been following this site for a few months now and it has been a great comfort to me (although I do find myself obsessing over it a lot). I just wanted to share my experience so far.

I went for my first smear in July 2023, a couple months after turning 25. 12 weeks later (October) the results came back as HPV and cell changes. No more information is given in Scotland so I spent a month being terrified of the worst, only to receive a letter exactly a month later saying that I was classed as a routine appointment. I knew from reading on here that that meant I was low grades. I then waited 16 WEEKS for a colposcopy in Glasgow, managed to push it all to the back of my mind for a while over Christmas thankfully.

10 days into January I received an appointment for colposcopy which I booked for the 22nd of Jan. I attended this appointment 2 days ago and was very nervous but found it fine really. The speculum going in was quite sore but once in, it was okay. They showed me my cervix on a screen which was very high def and strange. After the doctor applied the dye she said that she couldn’t see any changes and it looked like a healthy young persons cervix. She took a biopsy but she had told me she was planning to do this before the colonoscopy started so I think it was just to make sure. The biopsy was fine, it didn’t hurt at all really. She said I’d get my results in 8 weeks, more waiting yay!

I felt very relieved after this appointment which I had been building up for a long time. I’ve had no cramps or bleeding at all, just a bit of brown discharge from the cream they put on my cervix.

My issue is now that I’ve fallen down the hole again and I am worried that the results are going to come back as high grade CGIN (or worse) as they didn’t see anything on the smear. I’ve never had any symptoms of cervical cancer (bleeding etc) but I have had deep pain during sex for around 5 years which I presumed was endometriosis or something. Feel like my mind is in overdrive recently.

To make matters worse, I never got the HPV vaccine at school as my parents were anti vaxxers. They gave me the choice to get it if I wanted but told me loads of horror stories about it giving women fits and how it was crazy to give to young women as they aren’t sexually active. I know now that all this is nonsense and it’s given young so that HPV can be caught before anything develops but it’s too late. I am considering paying to get a dose of Gardasil 9 privately to protect against the other types. It would be great to know what type I have as if I knew it wasn’t 16 and 18 I would definitely get the vaccine. I am quite angry at my parents and when I try to talk to them about it they get very defensive. They are good people and I don’t want to be angry at them but I can’t help but feel I’ve been failed a little here.

I saw a news report on the BBC on the day of my colposcopy to say that there had been 0 cases of cervical cancer in Scotland in women who were fully vaccinated at a young age. I’m so happy that’s the case but it also felt like a punch in the gut as this so easily could have been prevented for me. I have bad health anxiety anyway and while this sounds like nothing to worry about, I can’t help but feel like I’ll be worrying most of my life that I might get cervical cancer.

Hey @SkyeMarsh98, I just wanted to say I’m in the same boat as you (Glasgow too so I understand the frustration with the waiting times), the only difference is that I was vaccinated.

Its a lot of pressure to have to make the choice of whether or not to get vaccinated at such a young age, I’m sorry that you had to deal with that alone. The vaccine does not provide 100% protection, so although it is not the choice you would have made now, teenage you didn’t do anything wrong.

I just wanted to say this is not something you have done to yourself. It may be worth speaking to your GP to see if they would be willing to give you the vaccine now.

Hope you get some results soon and can move forward in some way

2 Likes

Hi @Miriam3, thank you very much for your kind words. They really comforted me :slight_smile:

I have had the first dose of my HPV vaccine now (privately in Superdrug for £180 :upside_down_face:). Happy that I’ve done that now despite the cost.

Just to say, I got my results back today, exactly 9 weeks after my biopsy. All normal! Very relieved but wish I’d known that 6 months ago!

Hey @SkyeMarsh98 I am so glad its good news! and hopefully you can get a bit of peace of mind now, and do something to celebrate!

Thank you @Miriam3! Had a wee drink last night to celebrate :heart:

Hopefully everything goes well with you too! I think it’s really really easy to fall into a pattern of worrying when waiting for results but just remember that 4 out of 10 colposcopy results come back normal and out of the 60% that flag something up, the majority is CIN 1 (low grade) which is extremely likely to regress back to normal at our age. Even CIN 2 is very likely to regress when you’re 25 so try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know).

Wishing you all the best! :slight_smile:

2 Likes