Worried

Hi new here had a smear test on 2ith december has results back today borderline changes abormal cells and hpv? Been referred for a coloscopy very worried as have 3 young children can anyone shed some light on what to expect? Also possibly a good outcome? Very scared and worried thank you

Hi Becky I had a similar smear result back mid October which was borderline changes and HPV it's such a shock when you get that letter and so worrying and upsetting.  I went for my colposcopy November the 10th and had about a 5 weeks wait for the biopsy results.  I was very lucky to have a positive outcome however, it has made me more mindful of my health and I do intend to go for a private smear on a yearly basis as they put me back to 3 years as my biopsy was normal.

It's a very stressful worrying time and although it's easier said than done and I certainly didn't listen to my own advice try not to worry, my practice nurse was brilliant when I rang her she talked me through the results and helped to calm me down a bit.  I may be wrong but with you having HPV result like I did they send you for a colpsocpy as a matter of course but I may be wrong.

The colposcopy itself is ok not something I would want to do everyday but if you have given birth to 3 children I am sure you will be fine.  It's invasive yes, but the staff were great and really helped me relax.  I had one biopsy taken and silver nitrate cauterisation afterwards I experienced period like cramps and had black flaky(lovely I know) discharge but the nurses said this is normal.  It's subjective but not absolutely awful the colposcopy more like a smear with bells on! 

Let me know how you get on and try not to worry if you can speak to your practice nurse it may help this forum is excellent also.

Hi thank you for getting back to me yes letter very upsetting didnt really explain im still waiting on my date for coloscopy just wish it would come so i can get some answers but guess i will be doing a lot of waiting as u can imagine everything possible is going through my mind just need to try put it too the back will let you know how i get on thank you again

last year I had the same letter, was in a total panic, colostomy biopsys came back as CIN 1 and I was put on yearly smears. after this year's smear I had a phone call within two weeks to book me in for a coloscopy. I had a total head spin, smear to coloscopy within 4 weeks (delayed as I just couldn't consider the coloscopy while on time of month). 4 weeks to the day later I was called to be booked for a Lletz before getting results of biopsy in post. having to call and speak to a nurse to ask for results. I think the wait variants are between different trusts.

Every person I've encountered has been fantastic. very supportive. I would say call if your anxious as I know I felt so much relief when I did. I'm 6 days post Lletz at present. Slept 10 hours after the event as wss so deprived of sleep through worry. you arent alone, brave face for those around me was exhausting. pm me if you need a rant. it's a horrible time and I found being so focused on my cervix a really weird time. (only made bearable by giggling and continuing to giggle that when my younger 27 year old brother found our and asked if it's key hole surgerys reaction to me remaining him that there is an access hole already).