Please help to calm my nerves!

Hi all,

I’m going to apologise now that this may become a bit of a ramble towards the end! 

A few weeks ago I visited my GP with some irregular bleeding, which she told me was normal on my contraceptive pill but to have a cervical smear as it was due anyway.

I then had the cervical screening and got the letter through stating that I had ‘borderline changes and HPV positive‘ and therefore needed to attend a colposcopy. 

My appointment is tomorrow and I feel sick to my stomach. I have convinced myself I have cancer and I have gone to the worst place imaginable. I keep getting ready and I’ve developed abdominal pains but my husband tells me that could just me being stressed out and really anxious about it.

I’m 28 years old and I am so scared. I don’t know who to talk to and I feel  alone. I keep crying. What does borderline even mean? Is this really bad? Do I have cancer? Am I going to die? These are all the kings going through my head. We are wanting to try for a baby and I am now so scared I won’t get to that point. 

Please can anyone help? 

Hi I can relate - I am in the same situation as you almost exactly. Thinking the same thoughts. I have my colposcopy on Friday. I was just told that my smear showed abnormal cells but how abnormal I don't know. Also found hpv. I'm finding the wait for the colposcopy is the worst. 

Please let me know how your colposcopy goes, hoping it all goes well! 

I hope your appointment went well yesterday. I’m in the same boat and awaiting colposcopy results. I know its hard to keep the worst thoughts out of your head, but at least you have got this far now. Good luck with your results xxx

Hi you two 

I had my results back from my smear after a long three months of waiting! It came back the same border line changes and positive for HPV 

I had my colposcopy on the 24th July and had two biopsies taken. Straight away my consultant said it’s not cancer and it seems like my immune system is fighting off the HPV which is good news. 

My results from my biopsies are coming today but I rang up yesterday after waiting 4 weeks and they told me over the phone. Cells only have minor changes so it’s classed as CIN 1 and my consultant is happy that I won’t need any treatment and she’s booked me in for a smear in 1 years time as this gives it enough time for the HPV to go and cells go back to normal

Its Very rare to be told you have cancer there and then as HPV is a very slow process IF you did get cancer it can take up to 20 years to get it! How ever these are what the colposcopy appointments are for as they will treat the cells if they think it’s necessary to prevent the cancer. 

I was in the same boat as you to when I found out, I thought I have cancer and i was constantly crying. After reading more about it it helps a bit, especially this forum as where all going through somewhat similar. 

Good luck ladies xx

Hello girls 

I am in the same boat as you all, constantly scared and worrying myself sick that I have cancer. I'm only 26 and dont have children so I am terrified. Awaiting my gynaecologist appt and colposcopy 

Xx