worried please help :(

Hi everyone,

I could do with a bit of advice to calm me down. I had an abnormal smear and sent straight for colposcopy, results were “atypical glandular cells” borderline … I shouldn’t have asked the nurse the exact cells on the phone because then I start googling n driving myself mad. when I went for the colposcopy, on the notes that the doctor had it did say possible fungal infection … now the glandular cells are the ones further up the canal whereas the squamous ones are on the surface of the cervix which can obviously be seen better for any changes. during the colposcopy he could actually see the very slight abnormal area on the surface of the cervix which is odd given the fact my smear had come back saying that the abnormal glands were the ones in the canal rather than the ones on the surface of the cervix. im so confused … im getting worried now theres something going on further up that they have missed. my head is just in a mess :frowning: has anyone else had an abnormal smear where the abnormality was in the cervical canal rather than being on the surface of the cervix. Thanks so much ladies xx

Hi Elaine. 

Not sure if I cam br much help.  I had borderline endocervical cells. Glandular.  Colposcopy found a very tiny area which was cin 1 and low grade cgin. Treatment with letz which gave clear margins.  Had colposcopy and smears a every 6 months 6 and touch wood all clear. Had last colposcopy last week and now waiting on smear results. 

Xx

Hi Tillyrose, thanks so much for your reply. Im delighted to hear youre all clear. While at the colposcopy he saw a very small area that he wasnt sure if it will need treatment so he left it alone for now but just took a biopsy of it. That was my first colposcopy ... not nice and I think a man doing it made it worse.  I hope u get the all clear with your smear results :) When you got your smear done was it just the glandular that was reported back to you and then cin 1 was found by the colposcopy? x

Smear was just glandular borderline.  

Small area seen on colposcopy. Took biopsy first. This came back cin 1 and low cgin. 

Then lletz to remove area which came bacl clear margins and confirmed same as biopsy.  This was 2012. 

I've had 6 monthly smear abd colposcopy since but I believe they do it different now depending on hpv.  

I did have a borderline squamous result 2 yrs ago but hpv negative.  No Treatment. Then do far normal.  

I worry alot about it. I'm very anxious. My consultant is great and very reassuring.  Where are you based? 

Keep me updated.

Natalie x

Thanks Natalie. It's good to talk to someone in a similar position. When I looked up glandular cells I have to say I freaked myself out ... googling is a nightmare really. How did u find the lletz treatment? I have to say Im a very anxious person myself, am an awful worrier so I know how you feel. I was in the middle of trying for another baby until I got this result ... a good thing I hadnt fallen pregnant yet. Im in Kildare, Ireland. Whereabouts are you? x