Worried and cancelled appointments.

Hello, 

I'm going out of my mind. I should have had my routine smear in August 2019. My daughter was born September 2019 and following her birth I decided to go on the depo injection. I was advised to wait until December before going for my smear as you should wait after childbirth. December came (and went) and I cancelled my appointment on the morning due to heavy bleeding, which I did constantly since having the injection. Due to this I decided against continuing with the depo injection. So, we're now April and my periods are yet to return to normal. They say it can take up to a year but after sex I am finding I am bleeding light, the majority of the time it's brown blood and very light but it's really concerning me.

The GP has cancelled all smear tests due to COVID, which I know isn't their fault but I've explained my worries but nothing can be done. I also appear to be having an ache in my groin area? This could be because I'm bleeding (again) my periods last forever, god damn depo injection. Prior to this my periods we so regular and I loved it as I knew my body was working right. I can't feel any lymph nodes present so I don't think they're swollen but I'm really panicking. 

I had thyroid cancer back in 2016, which was removed and I now take thyroxine as I don't have a thyroid. I'm really so anxious has anyone had these symptoms before? Mainly, the brown discharge/bleeding after sex. 

Hope you're all keeping safe 

Tash

Hi Tash, 

This soudns like a tough experience you've been through. I also have some spotting which made me anxious since i'm post-menopausal. I'm basically also in the process of finding out (had normal pap smear but still must do a biopsy). I know how anxious you might be. 

If it does give you some comfort, the majority of people with spotting/abnormal bleeding don't end up having cancer. There can be a number of other explainaitons behind the spotting and the pain you're experiencing. 

Hope you got tested by now and that all went well.