Worried about lletz results

Hello all I had a lletz done 3 weeks ago after my smear came back with HPV and high grade abnormal cells. Today I received a letter from the gynecologist that did the lletz say that she has had my results back and needs to see me as it has come back with unexpected results and to discuss further treatment to my cervix so now iv gone into a emotional wreck worrying that I have the c word and I’m haveing my husband telling me it’s nothing and not to worry. So feeling at a loss. The gynecologist didn’t seem concerned on the day of my lletz as she told me that if all come back fine that I would just have to go for a smear in 6 months and then if that’s clear every 3 years as normal. So I’m just seeing if anyone els has had a letter like this and it just be nothing or are the chances high that there is a chance of having cancer. Any help at all would be greatfully received.

Hello, I’m so sorry to hear how you are feeling and I completely understand how this could cause you to feel frantic with worry. I don’t necessarily think it means cancer. It could mean they didn’t get clear margins, or could also mean they found CGIN, which is abnormal precancerous cells higher up in the cervical canal in the glandular cells. Again I am just speculating. If it is CC, it is a very treatable form, when caught in the early stages it can be treated with LLETZ. I hope your appointment is soon so that you can get some clarity.

2 Likes

I’ve had almost exactly the same thing and I go between thinking the worst and thinking all will be ok. I had a colposcopy and lletz under general two weeks ago no one seemed concerned at the time and I was told to book a smear in 6 months time then got a call abd letter for a follow up appointment this week. It says I’m under the 2 week pathway and have been referred due to either symptoms or test results - I’ve not had any symptoms at all so presume it’s the biopsy.
The waiting is so hard isn’t it.

1 Like

My appointment is this Friday I called them to see if they could give me any information before my appointment and I cant find nothing out. So it’s just the waiting game my worry is that the letter with my appointment says unexpected results and needing more treatment to my cervix. Iv got to be honest I’m a person that like to be told straight I hate the waiting game but you know with things like this thats how it goes sometimes. Thank you both that have replied to me

Again just speculating but more treatment to the cervix to me suggests unclear margins or CGIN? If it was cancer I wouldn’t have thought they would write that they need to treat the cervix, because cancer treatment may involve a hysterectomy, not more treatment to the cervix. Treatment to the cervix seems to me to suggests they have more cells they need to remove?

Mine is Friday too - fingers crossed for both of us it’s just unclear margins. Mine also says be prepared for more treatment and to take two paracetamol beforehand but I have a feeling that’s standard and not really specific to me - I had loads of gynae hospital appts last year for another issue and a couple of the letters said similar.
Friday seems so far away doesn’t it.

Good luck to you for Friday too. I’m hopeful it’s going to be something not to worry about it is the waiting as Friday does feel so far away. Iv just had a appointment for another hospital come threw via text but no one can tell me if this is part of my treatment to do with my smear or if it to do with endometriosis as iv been transferred for that by my doctor the same day I had my smear

Good luck today

2 Likes

Good luck to you too

How did you both get on?

1 Like

Thanks for checking, mine was stage 1a cervical cancer, the dr said it was tiny and he thinks it was all removed in my lletz, but I’m having another lletz again next week to remove more of my cervix to be certain it is all gone. Then hopefully just regular check ups until the all clear. Was as good as I could of hoped for but also very strange to hear the dr say the words cancer. Not sure how I feel now really. The nurse was lovely and recommended Jo’s trust as a good source of information and support.
Charlotte how did you get on?

1 Like

Thank you for asking and Sorry for late reply I have early stage cancer when they did the lletz they had taken all the abnormal cells but when they have looked at the biopsy they think there maybe more cancer cell’s there so they are send me for a mri scan if they are not satisfied with that do to still healing from my lletz then I will have to go for a scan where they put a dye in your body and then the treatment is one of two more llets or a hysterectomy my gynecologist is swaying towards a hysterectomy due to iv already been sterlised as I have two children. Thank you for asking. Candlesandmusic I wish you all the best with your treatment you have got this us ladies are warriors and will come out stronger than before.

Was you two always up to date with your smears? I wish you both all the luck in the world sorry to hear this I was following you story’s and waiting for your results x

1 Like

I have always been upto date with mine as I seen my mum go through it when I was a teen but this last one I didn’t go straight away like I would normally. I was 6 months late and I was having a heavy feeling and I mentioned to the doctor that I did need a smear and that I have endo so she booked me in for smear and refered me to gynecologist for my endo

Still 6 months shouldn’t make much difference should it I’m sorry your going through this can it be treated easily
sending postive vibes x

I’m being positive that it’s early stages so the worst part will be if my gynecologist does push for the hysterectomy but it’s not a bad thing at the same time so I’m just thinking that I’m lucky to have caught it now and thank you i think the waiting and the unknown all this week had made me prepare for the worst so I’m now just greatfull and the treatment will start soon

1 Like

Sounds like we have a similar diagnosis, no mention of hysterectomy for me at the moment but I guess if the next lletz is inconclusive then it’s probably the next step.
My smears are all up to date, I had a smear a year ago which showed up hpv and so I was out on yearly smear tests, the one I had in sept showed hpv and high grade severe dyskaryosis. Not sure why I had such big changes in such a short time but at least it was caught early. My local nhs trust are doing investigations into old smear tests to see if there could have been anything missed so I consented to that - maybe something should have shown up before who knows?
Good luck for the next few weeks - I’ll update as I go along.

That’s crazy that it went from just HPV to cancer in a year? sending you positive vibes they say always go got you annual smear so every three years but it seems like that just seems to long x

1 Like

I signed a form for the same thing today too. The gynecologist that I seen is pushing more for the hysterectomy because iv been sterlised so there isn’t no plans in my having anymore children so it’s more that reason they said theres a chance they may just do the lletz. Hope all goes well for you and I will keep you updated on my side too.

I have just been treated for stage 1a cervical cancer. All got removed in lletz procedure then had a cone biopsy to check all had been removed . Got the all clear and will be seen again in 6 months … here if you have any questions either of you xxxx

1 Like