Advice after LLETZ

I’m just looking for some advice please as I’m driving myself insane here. I had a smear done at the start of February which came back abnormal and was booked in for a colposcopy on Friday. I was told that I would be getting a few biopsies done and if necessary, back for treatment depending on the results. Then during the colposcopy, they decided to do lletz there and then.

Does this mean that its serious? I’m sure the nurse did explain everything but I was so upset that everything was happening so quickly that I didn’t really take it all in. I have to wait 4 weeks on the results and I’m so nervous. Are they testing for cancer or pre-cancerous cells? Why didn’t she book me in for the cells to be burnt off like I have read others get? I have also read that this can affect you having a baby in future but I didn’t really have any time to think about this before it was done and I wasn’t thinking straight.

Sorry for rambling on but any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

Oh and they said CIN3 with the other nurse saying the word "severe" too many times for my liking. The piece of cervix they removed did not look like a "small biopsy" :-(

hi, sorry your going through this. I had an abnormal smear result back 2nd Feb, then got sent for a colposcopy on the 12th Feb and they preformed Lletz there and then, but didn't tell me anything about the abnormality they removed.

I understand just how awful this is for you, it was horrendous. the waiting is absolutely awful. I had my results back from the Lletz treatment last week that just states that my biopsy showed the abnormalities predicted in my smear and that I have to go back in 6 months.

try not to worry to much (easier said than done) as you've had the treatment done now, also the pieces of cervix look huge! but they are magnified if you seen it on the screen. I'm sorry I can't be of much help for you but I found this forum amazing in my anxious time of need. 

big hugs to you, if you need a chat at anytime give me a message xx

Hello :) I had a similar experience last year. I didn't know what was going to happen when I got to the colposcopy clinic, but as my smear had showed up severe (cin3) abnormalities they told me they would do lletz straight away. They send it off to check the level of the cells, check for cancerous cells and to check the margins are clear, ie all removed. I received a letter 3 weeks later (but it seems or vary on the area of the country as to how long it takes). It confirmed that I had cin 1 2 and 3, but no cancerous cells and that all was removed. A couple of weeks ago I went back for my 6 month follow up smear, I got the result yesterday and again it's all clear. So try not to worry. It's easier said than done..I was terrified. But try to remember these are pre-cancerous changes and it takes years and years for them to become cancerous, if at all,  that's what I have been told by nurses.  Feel assured that they have now been removed and it's all been treatable :) and don't worry about the baby thing....I was told it is a 1% increased chance of pre-term labour after lletz, but that is so tiny. I thinkwe just have to tell out future midwife that we have had the treatment ans they will advise if we need a stich or anything...but i think thats doubtful if we have only had it the once x

Thank you both for your replies.  I feel a bit better knowing that it doesn't necessarily mean it was worse than expected. Hopefully they give me the all clear soon. I just panicked when it all had to be done there and then, not what I was led to believe would be happening, although since I'm such a worrier, it may have been for the best. You have definitely helped put my mind at rest just now so thank you both again and that's great news coribec xxx

Hi Clarence, 

The LLETZ is a type of biopsy, so you can rest assured that this wasn't, in their minds, an unexpected or emergency measure. From what I can gather from my own experience, they prefer to get rid of CIN2 and CIN3 as soon as possible so that you don't have to endure any extra waiting and stress that comes from waiting for punch biopsy results or from waiting to see if the body will destroy the cells itself, over time. I think they always whack out CIN3 if they spot it during the colposcopy - perhaps they're worried about people going AWOL and not returning to the clinic. It seems like they were a tad insensitive with you, and could have explained things better, but probably because they were so fixed on the task. As someone said to me, when I was worried about my LLETZ, better out than in! Sending you healing vibes :) xx