Weeks and weeks of waiting :(

Hi everyone,

I could really do with some friendly advice and this seems to be the right place from the posts I have been reading so far :slight_smile:

I recently found out that I have cervical cancer but the waiting for results and answers is beginning to take it’s toll on me. I have had irregular bleeds ever since having my baby (2 years ago) so i asked my doctor for a referral, and during the appointment the consultant did my smear while checking me because it was due.

Fast forward 2 weeks and he tells me during my next appointment (for the other issue) that my results can back as severally abnormal so he’ll need to perform a lletz and take biopsies. At the time the words pre cancer scared me (i lost a very good friend last year to cancer) but the consultant scoffed at me a bit for getting upset because it wasn’t cancer!

Fast forward another 2 weeks and i’m sat in his office for a check up where he tells me a ‘little’ cancer was found! I was floored, he said that it was ‘probably’ removed during the lletz but it could come back so i should think about having a hysterecotomy (floored again) but I might need an MRI first, which would be decided during a meeting at some point soon (he had no idea when)!

I had a call on Monday to advise that I would have an mri, but it might take a couple of weeks to find out when my appointment is… then i understand it can be weeks to get the results!

I’m trying to focus on the positives, if they’re not rushing i can only hope that it means they’re not too concerned but it is really hard to focus on work and not obsess over the ‘what if’s’ … has anyone else had to wait like this?

Hello Noodlet :)

this is the worst part . If you let it the wait will drive you crazy . I had a colposcopy then waited 5 weeks for a LLETZ.

I waited 2 weeks for my appointment to confirm CC then had my MRI 2 days later . Another 2 week wait to see Consultant then the following week I had an exam under GA to check bowels and bladder etc . 

Im in on Wednesday for pre op then if all ok RH on the 29 th . 

Its a drawn out process but they want to get as full a picture as possible but oh that wait :( 

The NHS has strict time guidelines to adhere to so rest assured on that point . 

Your mri results will be discussed in a team meeting within a couple of weeks but you could talk to them stressing your anxiety , and they may fast track it for you . 

Theres nothing anyone can say to calm you atm , we've ALL been where you are now but you will get thru this :) 

Blessings xx

Hi noodle 

it's so hard waiting but rest assured they want to make sure they will give you the appropriate treatment. 

We have all been where you are right now and believe me it's the worst part. Stay away from goggle as it is outdated and full of false information. 

the mri does not hurt in anyway and they will be able to best detirmine if the cancer has spread. Try to distract yourself by watching movies or bury yourself in a good book. take this time to organize or rearrange your home. Try to eat well and exercise as you will be at your best physically for whatever the treatment might be. Your cancer will not spread or take over in a few weeks as it is slow growing. 

I know how hard this part is but No worries cc can be cured!!

Yes the waiting is horrible but just try to find a way to deal with it as best you can - I immersed myself in books, films & work. And wine. Way too much wine but it helped me sleep. Try not to 'Google' too much. From my abnormal smear result in May to my hopefully curative surgery last Thursday, I guess it's been about 14 weeks in which time I've had scans, CT & MRI, colposcopy & LLETZ (on June 25th) and then the surgery last week. My hospital explained to me that they review the scans / results on Mondays and then send out the letters so the longest I was waiting in between for any news was about 2 weeks. Perhaps ask your hospital what their policy is so at least you know when to expect news. I think I aged about 20 years in the waiting times! 

Can I ask do you have a doctor at the hospital or is this a gp? I went into hospital on the 18th Feb last year as i needed a blood transfussion because of my bleeding and being annemic, whilst there I had a biopsy done, I was also told that i needed a mri scan and i was pissed about with it but i was given one very quickly once they pulled their finger out! As they have a emergency list and 'see when we can be arsed' list - you will go on the emergency one, you'll also need a pet scan which is where your injected with radiation and have a scan then you will be told your results - I was told on the 4th March so 13 days in total.

I would speak to your doctor and ask for this to be pushed as its making you ill - it seems to me that theyre not taking this seriously. Once diagnosed you will have your treatment plan and start within 6 weeks - I started on the 18th march because mine is advanced - but i now have traces of cancer now x

Hi Noodlet :-)

Welcome to the forum! I am very sorry that you are in this situation but very pleased indeed that you have found us. This is a brilliantly supportive community and a great place to hang out and chat with other women in similar situations. Yes the waiting is dreadful but what you must focus on at the moment is that cervical cancer is really incredibly curable. I am very sorry to hear that you lost a friend to cancer, I'm guessing it was a different cancer? On this forum you will come across women who have bounced back from a stage four! So try your best to remain positive.

A cancer diagnosis is a life-changing event but you will find that becoming a cancer-survivor is one of the most positive experiences it is possible to have.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

h

Thank you so much for your replies, my wine intake and grey hairs have definitely increased dramatically since I had the news.
I had the LLETZ treatment due to the severely abnormal smear result on the 11th Aug, then the results showing cancer from the biopsy on the 25th Aug so am still waiting on an MRI appointment.
I think I really need to ask more questions from now on regarding timelines so that I don't drive myself, and my family crazy.

I now have an MRI booked for tomorrow!  Eek!  Which is good, i think!  

Does anyone know how long you have to wait for your results from that?  

Also, the consultant has advised from the start that I have a 'simple' hysterecomy but does that depend on the results from the MRI?  My OH and I are blessed with a wonderful little one and were thinking that we would probably not have more (due to age, finances, etc) but it feels like a big decision to make that change to definitely not. 

Sorry, so many questions!

Hi noodle

dont apologize for asking questions that why we are all here!

results from the mri's vary from place to place so I don't think anyone has a definite answer for that. Hopefully it won't be too long. 

If indeed your all of your cc was removed during the lletz then you might be offered a simple hysterectomy. However, don't get hung up on maybes. Until your dr gets the results from the mri they can only speculate. You might actually have to have a radical hysterectomy. As I said don't rely on unknowns. 

it is hard at any age or regardless of how many children you already have or even if you don't want anymore children for your fertility to be taken from you. It is such a forceful closer for anyone to go through. Try to think positive and focus on the good things. 

Good luck. 

Xxx

Hi Noodlet,

Did you get the results of your MRI? I'm pretty much in same situation, I had smear mild abnormalities, then colposcopy - biopsy taken, told then I would need leetz and dont get pregnant, (results of biopsy pre cancer cgin) 3 wks later leetz, call to mobile 3 wks later come in and bring someone with me that a lot of stuff will go over my head. Told cancer found stage 1B early but I would need MRI and CT to confirm it had not spread. I had them yesterday. It was up there with the worst day of my life, procedure was fine just closed my eyes whole way through. My mistake was I asked the question do you know anything from what you saw. The lady said no, then she got talking and said, how did you get diagnosed? I said smear and she said really, it's great they do them, (I taught then she could see cancer in another part of my body and that's why she was asking) then she said I know if it was me I would just want it out (did you ever hear such a stupid statement?) I didn't now if she meant cancer or womb, said of course I want it out I just have to go through the motions, at that she said you are a private patient they will have results in day of two ring your doc ( with that I taught she can see something she knows) I said I was told stage 1B and she said how did they stage it for you and I said biopsy ( i taught she was saying that because she saw a huge mass on screen and taught where did he get that from) then she asked about my kids and what age ( I taught she was thinking oh the poor kids won't have a mam in a year) I know all this is irrational thinking I know its my mind working overtime. Then after MRI I was sent out to a corridor with my clothes in my hand and waited outside CT room crying and crying, was the loneliest time of my life. My partner had a search party out for me and eventually found me. The fear in his eyes when I was crying so much he taught I got results. We then brougt the disc of MRI and CT over to my colposcopy unit ( another hospital). My partner saw my doctor in the carpark, this is hilarious, every time I think of it I laugh and laugh and laugh, he shouted at the doc sorry sorry she has the discs and he looked at us like who the hell is this and what disc (I'm sure he has 100's of patients) so I explained i had MRI etc and I was told to bring discs over and started crying, he was lovely and reasurred me and said the girl who done MRI doesn't know it has to be read by a radiographer and to make an appoint for wed. So I'm in wed. Such a roller coaster I have loads of symptoms, bleeding but they said it could still be from the leetz, lower backache, pulling feeling when I turn quickly like when pregnant, but to be honest i don't know when these started and if its only from being diagnosed. Such a long message but it feels good to get it out. Reading back I realise how mad it sounds.. I took a relaxation tablet last night and got some sleep. Thinkni'm cracking up. Another thing they brought me into a room and got tea and toast for me and my partner and stamped our parking ticket so we wouldn't have to pay and again I taught they done that because they could see what was ahead and felt sorry for us.Â