Waiting for results...terrified

I'm 21 and I recently had a colposcopy following  a referral from my GP. I have had one smear when I was about 17 because I'd had a baby at 16. Nothing abnormal was detected But I've been plaugued with Gynae problems for years since.  I recently started having concerning symptoms so my GP sent me for an urgent colposcopy. The doctor tooka biopsy of an abnormal area that showed up. when the patch showed up the atmosphere in the room changed completely the nurse who was with me squeezed my hand tighter and the doctors face dropped. They were reassuring me that it might be nothing. The doctor said at that point that it could be pre-cancerous or "something else" and told me not to worry. But i'm terrified of the something else. I've not really got anyone to talk to about it. I'm really really scared that the results will be 'something else' and I don't know how i'll cope. I was told I'd have to wait 6 weeks for the results and I have 4 weeks left to stress and worry about this all.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience. Am I worrying for nothing?

I never experienced anything like this so I really dont know what to expect. I am trying to stay positive but I don't know what I'm supposed to think.

I hope there's someone that can help.

Thanks

*Big Hugs* I've noticed that questions posted around the weekend can often go unanswered for a couple of days.  Hopefully someone who has had a more relatable experience will see your post before too long, & in the mean time do your best to stay positive - from everything I've seen & heard if it is something very serious the hospital will call you very quickly & will not make you wait for written results - if you have already gone 2 weeks without hearing from them it is probably not urgent & is very treatable.  It takes about 10yrs for cervical cancer to develop & pre cancerous changes are successfully treated in 95% of cases, take care & try to spend your weekend doing things that will make you feel good, xx.

Hey, I haven't had the same problems, however I've recently had LLETZ and am awaiting results.

It's likely that the things you picked up on weren't as bad as you may think, often if you're worried about something, you makes things a lot worse in your mind, e.g. I was absolutely freaking out about LLETZ and didn't feel a single thing.

If it were something serious, you would have heard back VERY quickly, and you would be in for treatment straight away. I know it's hard, but I wouldn't panic too much about it, there's nothing you can do until you get the results, and worrying will only bring the rest of your health down. Again, I know it's hard to not worry, but try to stay calm :) x

Hi I understand how you feel - had my colposcopy nearly 4 weeks ago - had cin 3 ( so lots of precancerous cells detected in smear )

and also HPV - also detected in smear . I had to wait 4 weeks for my results - all the tim fearing the worst as i'm going through menopause to and thought my age was against me -

I worried all the time and had no one to talk to - luckily my results have just come through and they say still cin 3 which they hope the LLetz procedure has taken away - and a check again in 6 months .

It is natural to worry - and it is difficult not to - however worrying does not help you - you need to focus on the good things around you - think positive - enjoy everything you can

even the very little things - like the sunshine or the lovelyebreeze or the smell of the rain - concentrate on today - and the time will go quicker

good luck - will be thinking of you