New and worried about the wait

Hi I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I went for my first smear a couple of weeks ago. The nurse told me she could see some erosion in my cervix. I then received a letter back to say I needed a colposcopy because I have mild dyskaryosis & high risk HPV.

I did like most people & googled all the words in the letter & completely freaked myself out. I've now found out my appointment for the Colposcopy is 3 weeks away so I have to wait longer to find out whats going on.

I'm worried sick because i've seen my best friend go through cervical cancer & it was horrible. Can anyone give me any advice of what to expect & what these things really mean.

Thank you.

Hi Jem,

Firstly, big hugs!! I know exactly how you're feeling. I went through something quite similar.. Had my smear, results came a couple of weeks later, and I was referred for a colposcopy - 4 weeks down the line! When you're in that position, all you think is "it's my body and there is something wrong with me, why won't anybody do things faster?"

Well, if it's any comfort to you, my doctor said to me just before my colposcopy that from the results of my smear she was expecting to, ahem, 'get in there' and not be too worried by what she saw. Mild dyskariosis and HPV aren't exactly a winning formula if untreated, but from what I understand - in some cases - it can actually go away by itself whilst they're monitoring you.

During my colposcopy the doctor wasn't 100% convinced that she wanted to just leave it 6 months - she wanted to take biopsies to be sure of the next steps to take. Whilst that frightened me at the time if I'm honest, having had three weeks to reflect on it I'm actually feeling ok about it all now. At first I took her reticence to explain what was going on to me to be a bit secretive and I didn't like being kept in the dark - also being told I'd have to wait 4-6 weeks for the results felt like torture - but, I'm taking great comfort in the fact that things aren't being rushed through.

I might be completely wrong, but the fact that nobody seems to have paid the slightest bit of attention to me or been worried enough to book me in for further treatment urgently feels more like a positive thing now! I had felt like they just weren't sympathetic. I was one of a number, they see it all the time, yada yada yada.. But actually, no news is good news. It's been three weeks since I had the biopsies, I'm assuming that if there had been something in there that they were worried about they would DEFINITELY have been in touch!!

If there's any advice I can give you it's this.. Read these stories on here. Speak to the girls. Ask questions if you have any. And stay off Google! Google is your enemy when you have limited information! :) (Also, if you get really worried and panicky, just phone up your doctors and ask for it all to be talked through with you - they'll put your mind at rest hopefully..) Remember - You are in the system now, you will get seen (and should you need treatment - hopefully not! - you'll be in good hands!).. 

Here for you if you want to PM me at all! Fingers crossed that the next three weeks fly by for you and the colposcopy goes well.

Sending positive thoughts your way... :) xx