Waiting for results after lletz

Hi all

I am 28 and new to this but mid September I had my standard 3 year routine smear. My first one 3 years ago was fine and came back fine. This time however I received a letter stating abnormal cells were found and I had been referred to the hospital for a colposcopy. I went to my appointment yesterday and they told me it was a high grade cell change and the abnormality severe was quite a shock as I didn’t expect such a big change in 3 yrs! I am now playing the waiting game for my results which I have been told can take 4-6 weeks. Anyone else out there playing the same waiting game? Would love to hear from you and support each other!

Shireen x

Hi Shireen 

Firstly I hope your ok? Were you told your changes were glandular? I had colposcopy and lletz about 2 weeks ago for high grade glandular abnormalities. This is my second time round and the waiting is not much fun at all. I have good days and bad!

First time my smear was boarderline but hpv+ (high strain) .. i had a private colposcopy and biopsy and this came back clear. No further action and was discharged to 3 yearly screening by my consultant. I went on to have my 2nd child the year after and was invited to a screening by the NHS. I was suprised i received the invite but went along anyway.. was definitely not expecting the high grade result! Glad I was invited when I was.. I could be waiting 2 more years before discovering this.

What is great about this site is that you realise quickly that you are not alone, but that also abnormalities and even CC is in the main very treatable and such screening is a blessing. 

Have you had a biopsy or a Lletz? 

Hi susiey 

thank you for your reply. they didn't mention anything about it being grandular - what does that mean if you don't mind me asking?

my letter said I would be going for a coploscopy where they would look and if it was mild or severe they would do a lletz. when I got there she said striaght away it was high grade and they would remove it thereand then - she didn't even look before she told me they were going to do it so was all a bit of a shock and emptions were and still are running high. 

From what I could tell there were two bits that she removed (the la didn't work fully so I could feel the renocal :() they said they would send them off and let me know. I believe it was lletz not a biopsy as they already told me it was severe from the smear.

sorry to hear you are going through this for a second time - what have they suggestion to you this time around?

xx

1 Like

Hi Shireen

Glandular refers to the cells higher up in the cervical canal. Abnormality is harder to spot as they rarely show up on normal smears and can go undetected for sometime. It's referred to as CGIN. Loop is not always successful for treating this due to the risk of skip lesions. I may be faced with having a cone biopsy or a hysterectomy. Luckily I'm 38 and have children, so protecting my fertility is not so much of an issue.

Sounds like you may have CIN which is abnormality of the squameous cells which is usually contained to the surface of the cervix. The loop can be very effective at treating CIN, so I have read and heard.

I think you would have had a Lletz. . If they think high grade of either type they performe lletz at the colposcopy appointment. If you had a local anesthetic, it definitely would have been. The punch biopsy involves no anesthetic injections. I've had both.

Xx

Hi shireen 

I just had a colposcopy done this week and was told the same as you that my grade is high and have to wait at least 3 weeks for results. I'm so scared thinking the worst it's awful I'm not even sleeping. It's the 1st abnormal smear I've had this waiting game is horrible

Sending you hugs xx

Thank you susiey - i definitely had a lletz the as I had 4 injections to preform it under local. I am only 28 and not had any children so fertility for me is at the front of my mind - i would love nothing more than to be a mum. 

Hi Avery

thank you for your comment. how are you feeling dice your lletz? We're yourcella severe? this is my first time as well so you are not alone xx

Didn't want to read and run. i'm currently waiting on results from a biopsy on monday and ultrasound today, I've had mine done privately. I have previously had CIN3 removed by LLETZ in 2013, i tested positive with high grade HPV virus on the following check up and this time the cells are further up in the endocervix, I've got constant tummy cramps and some abnormal blleding during/after intercourse but not on every occasion. I wasn't due another smear for another 2 years, but as part of my work i was entilted to a health screening which came with a smear, which came back abnormal with severe dyskaryosis, its a really worrying time this waiting game but after reading the forums alot lately i keep reading its the worst part of it all. I've not had any discussion on removing the cells as of yet but a Hysterectomy has been spoken about because of my history and because my family is now long complete. Keep me informed on how you doing, sending you massive hugs xx

I'm feeling ok just a bit campy. She said my grade was high. I'm on the coil since my last daughter who is 4 I've been reading up about the mirena and I'm starting to think that this is the cause of all this. I've also been to the doctors with ovarian cyst. 

How are you feeling x

Avery I am feeing ok but like you i still have cramps every now and then and my lower back aches which I have heard is also a side effect. Been taking normal painkillers and using a hot water bottle which seems to be helping. i haven't experienced the coil but heard a few people who have gone through this have had it but I am. It sure on the link.

AngelsReward - sorry to hear what you are going through.

This waiting game is not fun at all. how are both your friends and family been with support? Do your partner understand what you are going through? X