Waiting for Biopsy Results

I've had gynae problems for as long as I can remember - heavy painful periods, constnat bleeding, pain during intercourse, bleeding after intercourse, but apart from a laparoscopy, which didn't find anything, I've never really been taken seriously.

I had my first smear on 29th August and heard very quickly afterwards that it was abnormal (although, only borderline changes) and I had my colposcopy last Friday. 

When I got to the hospital the nurse explained that I had the HPV virus and that my smear had shown borderline changes, so it was nothing to worry about, just a routine appointment and she might take a biopsy. 

She took three punch samples and showed me the pictures afterwards - 80% of my cervix was white from the abnormal cells (after she had put the dye on). She did say that it could just be the HPV virus showing up but the fact that it was over such a large area is worrying me. The nurse also said that if it needed treatment it will need to be under GA as it is over too large of an area to treat using LA. 

The GA doesn't bother me as I've had a million and one operations, but it's the not knowing what's going on that I'm struggling with. She told me that it will be 6 weeks until I get the results of my biopsy. Is that normal? It seems forever away. On one hand I'm thinking "they're obviously not that worried if it's going to take 6 weeks" but on the other hand I'm thinking "if it is something serious I've got to wait 6 weeks for the results which could make a massive difference". 

Do borderline changes ever turn out to be cancer? Or am I worrying for nothing?

Nat xx

Heya lovely,  I had the results of my biopsy 7 days after they were taken and I was told they would be in 4-6 weeks.  I would ring after a week just to see where they are at with them.  Borderline changes do not mean cancer my friend.  They are always very over cautious and check every little thing out.  It means a helluva lot of upset and stress I know,  but at least you know you're on the radar and getting watched.  You will be fine hun.  I'm going in for my lletz Mon and freaking out about it,  even though I know it's for the best. Gotta love being a girl! ! Xxx

If she suspected it was serious, I believe she would have marked your test as urgent and you will hear back sooner. If its less serious, it tends to take the 6 weeks alright.

I was told 4 weeks, which was yesterday, and heard nothing so I rang them and they said "I don't know why the girls say 4 weeks as its always 6." Nice! I'm sure the 2 weeks won't drag as much for her! I hope you hear quickly, but not so quick that its urgent xxx

Hello! I had my lletz done 3 weeks ago now with the biopsy took aswell, I got told 4 weeks but rang yesterday and was told my results were not back yet! I know the feeling of waiting its horrible but iam sure if it was anything to worry about they will be in touch abit sooner :) xx 

I had to wait six weeks for my results. I had some irregular bleeding and discharge, back pain and, like you, suffer from horribly heavy periods.

They sent me to colposcopy before my smear results came back because I had a polyp, but all my results came back normal.

Obviously you're not worrying about nothing, everyone has a bit of anxiety when waiting for test results... but, even if it turns out you need treatment, it doesn't mean it's cancer or anything close to it.

It seems like most of the ladies here didn't have to wait six weeks if it was a cervical cancer diagnosis so, in this case, no news is usually good news.

Hi did everyone get there results bk and were they all clear ?? I'm new to this site so I'm just trying to get used to it but I had my second time of lletz 3 days ago and I'm worried I have cc don't no what to do?? So scared

Was freaking myself out worrying whilst waiting for my colposcopy biopsy results, only to have the receptionist quickly say, no everything is negative you're all good! If anyone reads this who is a worrier like me, remind yourself of the likelihood and think positive :) Everything is going to be fine! And if not, we are all here to help!