Waiting a year for smear test due to polyp

I’m worried after my recent attempt at a smear test. It was already overdue as I was putting it off and unable to get a convenient appointment. My last smear which I think was about 7 years ago was very painful with the nurse. The practice said I could book with a GP but it’s hard to get an appointment with them. Twice I had to cancel due to unexpected bleeding. I finally had it now and there is a large polyp in the way. My GP said it looks benign, although it bleeds easily, and a routine referral to gynecology would be fine. She said she couldn’t do a proper smear due to the obstruction so asked them in the referral letter to do one. I said how long would I be waiting and she said a couple of months. I spoke to the bookings line today and they said the wait time is around a year. Should I get back to my GP about this or will it not make any difference?

Hi Pinkrose, welcome

Personally I think a year is too long given your situation. Your GP is expecting you to be seen within 2 months and I definitely think you should get back to her to decide the best course of action.

x

Hi, Jazza thank you for your reply. It turns out I was given the wrong information by the bookings team. I have now had a confirmation I am being referred for a colposcopy and that department said the wait time is max 6 weeks (sometimes it’s triaged as a 2 week wait). I will be triaged and informed of an appointment date next week and they have added me to the cancellation list as well. It’s a relief to have this seen to soon!

1 Like