Frustrating waiting times

Hi, apologies for the rant/off load that is about to appear, I just need to be able to vent to someone who will understand. Had second abnormal smear in 12 months (last year’s colposcopy was ok). Was given new colposcopy appointment but moved and had to have everything transferred. New GP is excellent and has sent notes/referral letter to the clinic…after more than a month wait I called them, only to be told the wait, because of covid is a minimum of 16 weeks. I can’t wait 16 weeks. I’m in discomfort (since before smear), bleeding, back pain and I get uncomfortable just sitting down for any length of time. I can’t sleep through worry and the constant uncomfortable/pain internally and I just don’t want to live off pain killers. I’m contemplating going privately but it really can’t afford it, especially with Christmas looking. At my wits end. Any advice or similar experiences would be gratefully received. Thank you in advance x

Hi, First of all Rant away that’s what this forum is for… it’s a stressful experience and full of waiting and not knowing and waiting and more not knowing, the symptoms your describing doesn’t sound normal and i’m sorry to hear that you are in pain, have you mentioned these symptoms to your doctor? also this website has a helpline that you could call and see if they could help you with easing your worry.

I hope you will get the help you need and wont have to wait so long :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I feel you After having cin 3 2 years ago I needed to go back in after having cc symptoms and I’ve waited 15 weeks just to see the gynae when I went I seen a student dr who took notes and then told me I will be waiting another 4 weeks for biopsies to be taken it’s hard try keep busy and your gp can try expedite it if they are concerned which means push you up the list for an assessment

Hi hope your okay
I’m the same at the minute I’ve had high risk HPV since 2017 I had to pay private for my smear as I werent 25
They told me to come back in a year so I did after a had my first baby still high risk HPV got told to come back again in a year but I couldn’t afford it so for 2 years I didn’t, fast forward to now i had spotting for 7 weeks went the doctors told them about my private smear results from years ago (which I already told them about and they told me not to worry) doctor said they’ll send me for a urgent colposcopy but the wait list is 6 months
I’ve hardly slept I’m crying most days cos I’m over thinking
Seriously debating going pricate but it’s £700 just for a colposcopy and then if I need treatment that’s another big cost

I honestly feel your pain I have had some waiting times either for a smear test result which was 10 weeks or for biopsy results that I’m still waiting for currently at 7weeks and any follow up appointments are usually months which causes awful anxiety thinking the worst and especially if your in pain!!! I hope you get things sorted out quickly xx