Colposcopy wait time

Hello!
I please need some advice/reassurance. So for the past 4 months i have been suffering from bad pelvic pains been back and forth to the doctors and had numerous tests all negative, they then booked me in for a slightly early smear as i wasnt due for just under a year but my results came back HPV positive and also abnormal cells. Spoke briefly with my doctor who said i should get my colposcopy appointment within 6 weeks, however my letter for my appointment has come through today and it is on october! Thats 5 months! Im already in discomfort and highly anxious especially with my other symptoms. Has anyone else had to wait this long? Or has anyone else had the same symptoms as me and come out as cervical cancer?

Thanks in advance x

Good norning @MrsG56.

I’m so sorry you find yourself here. Im not sure about your symptoms as i didnt really have them. I had backache and tiredness but it turned out that was related to the fact i got an infection aftet the colposcopy.

In my case, i had my smear on 1st Feb, had an aborted attempt at a colposcopy in early March, had another under general on 21st March and was diagnosed with cc on 5th April. Luckily for me it was found early - I’m now 10 days out from a radical hysterectomy. So pretty fast - i can’t complain about the surgical/gynae cancer team, they’ve been amazing. The ward afterwards… not so much, but thats another story!

That does seem like a very long time to wait. Too long! Is it worth going back to your GP and asking them to try and speed things up? Do you now what grade of cell changes you have? I had Hpv+ and CIN3 high grade changes. Maybe the delay is related to the type of cell changes? I really hope you can get some answers that will either put your mind at rest, or get you bumped up the list.

Rachel x

Sorry about the typos. Im lying in bed and trying to answer on my phone, without my glasses on.

Hi there, sorry it’s making you so anxious- it is a long time to wait. This could be down to the level of cell changes you have. If it’s boarder-line changes or mild changes then they will prioritise ladies who have more severe changes. However, you can call colposcopy and ask them to call you if they have a cancellation which they’ve done for me in the past. I have CIN3 and was seen the next week so very prompt. If they are worried, they will see you quicker. I have to be seen every 6-8 weeks as I’m pregnant and they are quite serious about it being on time. Cell changes doesn’t mean cancer though so try not to worry. Usually CC is slow growing and often takes many years to occur after CIN. Sending love! Hope you get an appointment soon.

Hi, sorry to hear of your wait time for colp. Can I ask was the smear test done via the screening programme (did the result letter come from the cervical screening administration service)? or was the test done outside the nhs screening programme via your GP? 5 months is an unusually long time to wait.