HPV/Colposcopy

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum. When I first turned 25 I had a smear and it came back with HPV no abnormal cells, I have since had two smears which are still the same result and I have been referred to colposcopy in 5 weeks. I am quite nervous but trying to be positive. Can I ask if it is normal to wait 5 weeks for a colposcopy? Thank you x

Hi Beth,

I’ve had the same thing as you. HPV positive, no abnormal cells, for three years running. Had my smear in October, had a colposcopy last week.

The Colposcopist initially said that even though my smear showed no abnormal cells, she expected to see something and would take biopsies if so. Sure enough, she took three biopsies, and thinks they just look “viral”. Not going to lie, it wasn’t pleasant. Just waiting for the results now.

Please don’t be worried or concerned, if the colposcopy finds any abnormalities, they can treat it. Your wait time is normal, especially as your smears show no abnormal cells. They will prioritise smears with abnormalities, your colposcopy is a precaution.

1 Like

Thankyou for replying emma , can I ask if you found the biopsy painful?,

She took three, the first was a pinch, the second a little bit painful, the third a pinch again. It was unpleasant as it’s not really something I expected to be honest. I thought they’d have a look, say it looks fine and then send me on my way, but they took biopsies. It’s fine, just a bit uncomfortable

Thankyou for getting back to me , I appreciate it. I hope everything goes well for you x

No problem, hope everything goes well for you too Beth :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey :slight_smile: I had my second colposcopy yesterday within 8 weeks of each other. They aren’t pleasant but they also aren’t painful - it really is just discomfort mostly.
My first one, the nurse took 2 biopsies and they do just feel like a pinch. The worst part for me on that one was pretty much the size of the speculum felt uncomfortable.

Yesterday, I had the consultant gynaecologist doing the procedure and he gave me anaesthetic without even telling me - I’m guessing he could sense my anxiety. This meant he could take 3 biopsies as well as use the electric tool to stop the bleeding on me all completely pain and sensation free.
I guess why I’m telling you this is because I have had the worst anxiety over this for the past 2 months but honestly I think going into it is the fear of the unknown. Also, ask if you can have a bit of anaesthetic even for the biopsies. They don’t hurt but no harm in feeling nothing at all!

Hope you aren’t stressing too much xx

1 Like

Thankyou for telling me , this has helped me to stress a bit less, its mostly the fear of the unknown , do you know how long it usually takes for colposcoy results? hope everything goes well for you x

My first set I waited 5 weeks for and I had to prompt them for the letter, this one I was told it will be a 6 week wait xx

Ok thankyou for letting me know , hope everything goes well x