Lengthy waiting list

Hi, I had my cervical screening back in February I received a letter on the 8th of April with the result of HPV positive and low grade dyskaryosis requiring a colcoscopy, I waited 5 weeks to receive a hospital appointment for this and having not heard anything rang my GP to enquire about it, she told me there was no record of this letter or record of my results with the practice, she then sent me a message a week later (yesterday) with a phone number to ring " should I want to chase it up" I today after 6 weeks of waiting for this appointment rang the number, I got through to a receptionist who said I'm on the gynecology waiting list but it's a lengthy one and I won't be top of that list for another 13 weeks, so it's going to be another 3 months before I even receive an appointment, I'm not sure what my screening results mean, if I require treatment or what could happen during this waiting period, I was just wondering if anyone has or is going through the same? Any information or anything else would be so appreciated, thank you.

Hi Sammy90, 

I am sorry to hear you're going through all this - what a pain! Something definitely doesn't sound right with those waiting times, although I suppose it could be possible with COVID delays. I waited two months last year for my colposcopy appointment after getting the same result as you, but was at least notified of when it would be - I wasn't told about a waiting list and at least got results. 

I am no expert but it sounds like maybe you have been referred for a gynaecology appointment rather than the standard colposcopy and maybe your results just haven't been communicated properly between directories? I would try calling the Jo's helpline on this site as they may be able to help you out more about who to contact. 

I'm writing all this assuming you're in the UK and through the NHS, which if you are, y ou should have at the very least recieved some information explaining your results by now! I hope you get answers soon! 

Thank you for replying, yes I'm in the UK and I was thinking the same that there's a back log of appointments due to covid, I don't mind waiting my turn although this doesn't ease the anxiety around it all, all I have is a letter from April with the initial cervical screening results on which was HPV and low grade dyskaryosis, I'm frustrated I've had to chase around to find out I'm on a 13 week waiting list for colcoscopy and according to my GP there's no record of it if I hadn't of chased all this up would it just of been forgotten about,  it's really confusing but yes I think I will give Jo's helpline a call, thank you for your response it's really appreciated 

Hi Sammy,

As its low grade cells that have been identified, my understanding is that you should be seen for colposcopy within 18 weeks, but covid could cause delays.

The system for cervical screening is separate to your doctors surgery. Although, your doctors surgery should have been sent a copy of the same letter that you received. Perhaps lost in the post?

Cervical Cancer usually takes between 10-20 years to develop.

I really hope all of the above eases some of your worries, but I completely appreciate that it is a really worrying time for you.

You can also call your colposcopy clinic up and ask if you can be considered at short notice for any cancellations too. 

Oh wow that's a relief thank you for responding it's really appreciated it certainly has eased my worries, I know there are people with more urgent issues and I also understand that covid has caused a back log of appointments, hopefully I hear something soon and again thank you for replying x

So pleased it's helped lovely. Xx

Hi sammy 90

I have a similar scenario hpv + but borderline cell changes. My letter from cervical screening service said I would get a colcoscopy apt from hospital & if not received in 2 wks contact gp (smear was 12/5, letter from screening service received 19/5 so I'm very early days in this process). 

I've been doing a lot of research on the process to try & understand what to expect including this forum (really invaluable) you might find below PHE document on Cervical Screening/Colcoscopy Programme helpful (referral times on page 24 - it's 100 pages!) 

https://www.bsccp.org.uk/assets/file/uploads/resources/NHSCSP_20_Colposcopy_and_Programme_Management_(3rd_Edition)_(2).pdf

I'm not sure why 2 time frames shown - 18 weeks (mentions gp referral on page 23??) & the Nhs cervical screening programme (NHSCSP) says 6 weeks for colcoscopy apt (which I assume we both fall under) maybe the jos helpline can clarify. 

As your cervical screening service letter said you required a colcoscopy it may be worth another call to them as it does sound like you may have been put on the wrong pathway. Appreciate covid may have impacted services but the gynae apt or 13 weeks doesn't sound quite right.

i hope you don't have to wait too long for a Colcoscopy appointment as it sounds like its been a very slow process for you.