How long should I wait

I was meant to have a smear in March which was cancelled due to COVID. I eventually got another appointment early October but after a couple of attempts I was referred to the hospital for a colonoscopy and was told I'd get an appointment within 6 weeks. After 8 weeks I contacted my GP they gave me a number to ring, I was told that due to COVID I would have to wait as it's just routine. Should I be worried I being missed ( I'm 48)

Hi Cazm

I had my colposcopy last week, my appointment only took a week to come through. I had to have one due to cell changes so I think they have to do it in a 2 week turn around. My hospital just made me have a covid test 48hours before my appointment.

Hi Cazm,

Personally I feel that is too long to wait. I would contact your GP and tell them the delays with being seen are causing you undue stress and see if there is anything they can do. Sadly covid has a lot to answer for but it really is unfair to expect you to wait so long. We need to advocate for ourselves as I'm afraid nobody else will. Best of luck, I hope you get seen soon.

x Maria

Call the clinic  again.i was told I could have waited til as far as April.i called 2 days later and questioned it and I have an appointment for next week.i was in the same position as you

I think because you've not managed to have a smear done so don't have a positive HPV result or abnormal cell changes they aren't seeing you as a priority for colposcopy. But I don't see why you should be treated differently because until they do it you aren't going to know if you are clear.

I think it you are in a tier 4 area perhaps wait 2 weeks and then make a call again and say you don't want to wait any longer and could they please give you a date at the very least even if it's for another 4 weeks time. 

You need a date as a minimum they can't just not book it in at all, I fear you will be forgotten about unless they pin you down for a date. 

Don't feel bad for chasing it up xx

Hi Cazm, 

The person who told you 6 weeks will most likely have been quoting pre-covid timescales, all NHS services now have back-logs to get through unfortunately and they may be so used to quoting this timescale they haven't quite adjusted yet, please don't worry too much about this. Speak to the Colposcopy team and check you're on the waiting list, they will get to you.