Upcoming LLETZ treatment

Hi everyone! I posted on here a while back concerned about attending my first ever colposcopy appointment as a result of smear coming back as HPV positive and severe abnormal cells detected.

I feel very fortunate to have had my husband attend the appointment with me (back in July) because I was a nervous wreck! Anyhow, at the appointment we were told that everything looked healthy and normal. They took 3 biopsies as a precaution. We left the appointmment with a piece of paper stating that the colposcopy was satisfactory with a 'normal' result. 

Fast forward to August, roughly 3 weeks post colposcopy and I recieve a very vauge letter telling me they have found CIN 3. I guess I had just missed the monthy team meeting by days and had to wait until mid September before hearing what they'll be doing with me.

So, days after their meeting, they have arranged an appointment for treatment and sent me a letter a week before the appointment date. I live on an Island so travel is awkward and expensive. I worry because they want to see me so quickly after their team meeting, but also because of the lack of information. Because travel is so difficult I called to confirm that I will be recieving treatment and not just attending a consultancy appointment to which I was just told they try to treat you after consultancy same day. 

So, my appointment is this Thursday afternoon and I'm bricking it! The travel will be a welcome distraction, but I'm doubly nervous because I'm so in the dark as to what will happen. I'm assuming I'm having LLETZ treatment as it's the only treatment option in the leaflet I was provided. Hubby is coming with me again :) but I'm worried.

I'd love to hear back with some reassurance or guidance, but just glad to have somewhere to turn to to read others stories and to share mine. Thanks for taking the time to read this! 

Hi

I suspect you will have a lletz, I’ve had 2. Try not to worry, it will be very similar to your biopsy. You will have local anaesthetic which is a small nip them you should feel relatively comfortable. I found it was mainly pressure I could feel.

I had some cramping following this and bleeding. Although bleeding/discharge seems to be very individual. My first lletz I had a brown watery discharge for 10 days then a heavy bleed with a few clots, which lasted for 2 weeks although lightened after a day or so. The second time I bleed from the procedure with it gradually lightening for 4 weeks (my 2nd was a much larger lletz and only 6 weeks after my first so I put it down to that). My doctors did say 7-10 days after lletz your discharge/bleeding can increase.

The sample they take at lletz does get sent away and then you have to wait for the results, really check that they have all the abnormal cells etc.

You will be great, everything crossed this resolves it for you xxxxx

Hi Jenni,

As Lotty said the procedure itself you cant feel, its just the needle for the local which stings. I've just had my 2nd also, it only lasts around 10 minutes and the nurses keep you chatting. Good luck and let us know how you get on x

Hi Lisa!

So I had the LLETZ treatment this afternoon. 

Is it normal to get so emotional? Before the procedure the consultant said that the CIN3 biopsies have come back as precancerous. I don't know, but hearing that for the first time just reduced me to tears and I cried through the whole thing (quite embarrassed actually).

I guess the anaesthetic is wearing off because I'm pretty sore now.

To be honest, I didn't really feel the needle but she got me at some point further along the process which did hurt significantly. I'm thinking maybe when cauterising that area, the anaesthetic hadn't quite reached it? 

My job is very physical so I have the next two days off to travel back and recover. 

So the next stage for my story is waiting to hear back in the coming weeks. Fingers crossed and thanks again for reading, and thank you for replying to my original post :) 

kindest regards,

Jen. 

Hello lovely. 

I had the LLETZ treatment around 5 months ago. I was absolutely terrified. Before my biopsies were taken I was told I would need treatment for CIN3. Around a week later I got a letter to say I had CIN3 cells and positive of HPV. 

My mum came with me and honestly, I built it up so much more than it was. I felt very little and the recovery was much better than expected. (6 weeks without sex and baths etc... all honesty I missed bubble baths the most! .. me and my partner found other ways!) everybody is different.

I don’t want to fill you with hope that it won’t be uncomfortable because it might be. But what kept me going was the fact that it could save my life. 

My advise? Make sure you take somebody with you. Be prepared to hear buzz words and most of all, remember that you’re a badass and not alone.