+tive HPV and low grade dyskaryosis

I'm 30 and just received the results of my second smear test. It says I've been tested positive for hpv but doesn't mention if it is high risk or not. I've also been told I have low grade dyskaryosis and that i will need to go for a coloscopy. I'm obviously feeling very anxious and worried about this. Can anyone tell me if they've have similar results and if they had high risk hpv as I am worrying that I must have high risk as I'm having to go for the coloscopy? Or maybe I am worrying too much and the fact I've got hpv and low grade dyskaryosis means they need to do the further investigation? I really hope someone can help settle my mind as I feel awful.

Hi,

I had a colposcopy yesterday, after my smear showed borderline changes and HPV. My colposcopy showed where they've got the borderline changes from and they took a biopsy just to be sure all is fine. The nurse said she would be amazed if I needed any treatment though. She also said just because HPV was present at the time of the smear it doesn't mean you will always have it and that many people have it at some point. I was terrified when I got my results and the HPV thing really bothered me, the nurse reassured me and explained that even with high risk HPV it is very rare for cancer to develop, especially when you are being checked regular and that way any treatment can be done before any abnormal cells have chance of developing into cervical cancer.

Try not to worry too much, I had myself in a right state about it and yesterday ended up being such a relief. Still the slight worry there waiting for biopsy results, but feeling much more at ease about the whole thing now and no longer getting worked up about the HPV.

Hi,

I had a colposcopy yesterday, after my smear showed borderline changes and HPV. My colposcopy showed where they've got the borderline changes from and they took a biopsy just to be sure all is fine. The nurse said she would be amazed if I needed any treatment though. She also said just because HPV was present at the time of the smear it doesn't mean you will always have it and that many people have it at some point. I was terrified when I got my results and the HPV thing really bothered me, the nurse reassured me and explained that even with high risk HPV it is very rare for cancer to develop, especially when you are being checked regular and that way any treatment can be done before any abnormal cells have chance of developing into cervical cancer.

Try not to worry too much, I had myself in a right state about it and yesterday ended up being such a relief. Still the slight worry there waiting for biopsy results, but feeling much more at ease about the whole thing now and no longer getting worked up about the HPV.

Thanks for your response Laura. Did it take long for you to get your appointment through after receiving your smear results? The waiting is awful. I just want to know if there's anything wrong. I hope your biopsy results come out clear

Hello hun!

You sound just like me when I got the results back on my very first smear! I had my smear done in October of this year & I was just expecting my results to be normal as I've never been really ever even been ill, barely even had a cold lol so my immune system must be working lol.. Anyway - I went straight into panic mode when I got my results which were exactly the same as yours. 'Low grade dyskariyosis' and evidence of HPV.. I was referred for A colposcopy which I had on the 4th November this month. I was so nervous!! I didn't know what to expect.. It all seems so daunting & makes us so anxious - but to be honest hun, it really wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. The nursea were lovely & she explained to me that I had the high risk HPV. Which I was gutted about! The colposcopy itself didn't hurt, just a little uncomfy at first & you have the option of seeing your cervix on the screen if you want too (I chose not too) she explained to me whilst doing it that it all looked 'normal' & that my results may have been slightly wrong because she thinks it's just the HPV that's present. She took 2 biopsies anyway just to be sure :) she told me to cough as she done the biopsies & I didn't actually feel anything so it's not painful at all! 

Honestly - the worst part is the waiting! A lot of people say HPV stays with is for ever & that it just 'sleeps' but I don't believe that.. I think with a healthy diet, a good immune system & making sure you have your vitamins, I think it'll just flush out the system! don't worry yourself :) at least they're taking precautions & ruling anything bad out. I doubt from your results that it will be anything worse! Just enjoy life & for stress it.. You'll be fine hun :)

oh & by the way - I'm still waiting on my biopsy results & it's been over 2 & a half weeks already - they say the longer the better apparently? 

Good luck with your appointment hun! Let us know how you get on & if you've got any questions or just need someone to talk too then private message me if you like :)

hugs xxx

Ignore all the spelling mistakes, I'm using my iPhone lol xxx

Hi hun thanks for your reply. I think it's helped put my mind at rest a little. I just want my appointment to come through so I know when it will be. I guess when I read my smear results and read the leaflets with it I obviously started worrying about cancer and being able to have children as I've not had any yet. Do you know if it's safe to use tampons like when I go to the gym with all of this going on at the moment? I'm sure the appointment will be fine and I don't need to worry, it's just so hard lol. I really hope you hear back from your results soon, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you x

Thank you hun :) I think it's still find to use tampons in the meantime, if you're unsure contact your GP who will tell you :) I'm sure everything will be fine so don't worry! I know the first thing that goes through our mind is cancer & that's what makes us so anxious. But don't let anything worry you unless there's something for you to worry about but there isn't. Good luck hunni! Fingers crossed for you! Xxx

Thanks hun, I'll keep taking deep breaths X

Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread, it just felt more appropriate rather than starting a new one, as it seems i am in pretty much the same position! 

Had my first smear and my results came back the same as yours, low grade changes and evidence of high risk HPV. I got my results letter on the 4th and my appointment was on the 19th .

I was uneccasarily nervous about my appointment, i stook out like a sore thumb with my maxi skirt and my mum in tow! She basically said because the changes were mild and because of my age and no children she would rather give them chance to go away on there own, but took 2 biopsies to make sure. A 2-3 week wait. I'm a week in and feeling much better then i did when i was waiting for my appointment! Still doesnt stop your mind coming back to it though, i'm just hoping next week goes as quickly as this one.

I'm also a bit confused about the HPV! I had no mention of it at my appointment at all! I totally forgot to ask, I've kind of just assumed that the HPV have caused the changes and thats what i'm waiting for to go away? 

Its back on my mind today as afterwards i had cramping for about an hour after my appointment, hardly any bleeding and not much discharge, so last night i thought i was safe to have a bath .. but back to cramping and bleeding :( lesson learnt!

I hope your appointment has come through Gemma and i hope were not too long waiting for our results Dani :) Fingers crossed.

Linzi xxxxx

Hello hunni!

I am quite positive our results will come back good :) I've been waiting over 3 weeks now & still haven't received my results. I'm away at the moment till Saturday so I'm hoping my results will be there when I get back! It's the hardest part waiting! Leaves your mind in a whirl of wonders & what ifs! I'm sure we will all be fine though ladies - fingers crossed!!

Good luck hunnies - update me when you both receive your results :)

big hugs xxx

Got my letter today which was a bit of a shock.. Diagnosed with CIN2 so have to go have the LEETZ! But at least i can stop wondering now. Good luck girlies xx

Oh good luck hunni! Thank you for updating us! At least you can put your mind at rest now :) I get back home tomorrow so I'm hoping my results are there and hoping it's nothing bad! Send me a message and let me know how your lletz went! Have they given you a date for it?

Big hugs xxx

Hi ladies, 

I'm 25

Could really do with some information and advice,

Basically I've been with my boyfriend for 1 year when we first got together I noticed two very small lumps on his penis questioned him about it of course and he said he had them checked out and they're just skin tags wasn't any need to treatment as they wasn't causing him any harm, anyway 6 months later I noticed a small lump on my labia greatly distressed I've never had an STI in my life and only been with 2 people I went straight to the GUM clinic I was them told it was a genital wart and gave me some Aldara cream more warts came but the cream was successful and the warts went, after that I made my boyfriend go back to the doctors and I went with him to make sure this time and then was informed the "skin tags" were genital warts. I can't prove that if he did ever go to the doctors or in fact knew he had genital warts all along. Anyway I was due my first smear test and of course received a letter back with abnormal results in which read high risk HPV mild dyskaryosis I was so confused because all I've done is obsessed about looking up genital warts and HPV when I first found out I had them and I've read the HPV you get from genital warts doesn't cause high risk HPV but yet I am high risk? have I got two different HPV viruses in me? I went to the colposcopy and told them about the genital warts and was inform my cells have just started changing CIN 1 and because I'm healthy and don't smoke 50/50 it will go on its own or it won't and I'll need treatment and to go back next year but then she informs me that I have warts way up in side and I'll have to return to the GUM clinic to get these treated I left feeling even worse 50/50 chance didn't like them odds and also I had no idea about the ones inside so I went to the GUM clinic the next day to be told they don't deal with them if they're way up in side it's the gynaecologist (where I'd just been) that deals with them, I left feeling angry and upset about the whole situation, I've been to 3 different doctors for advice each telling me completely different things I'm hoping someone on here could clear some up for me

1. Can genital warts cause high risk HPV in some cases or do I have two different types?

2. My boyfriend is on going treatment (Aldara) which is showing signs of working but sex is a obvious no go for me at the moment but he is a smoker I know treatment is less successful if you do smoke.. My question is if I get rid of the virus and he doesn't is it just going to keep coming back to me? I ask this because one doctor said no it doesn't go back and forth but another said it will keep attacking me if he isn't rid of it and the same if he is rid of it and I'm not.

3. am I stuck with this forever? I'm absolutely terrified and I feel like I've ruined my life severely depressed about it and I'm ashamed to speak to anyone that isn't my boyfriend about it who doesn't understand the seriousness about it all. 

Hiya....sorry for jumping into the conversation but right now I'm in the same boat as you. Got my letter today..it says low risk dsyskaryosis and positive for hpv...so I'm a bit worried about what will happen in the near future. Got to go for a colpso copy in the coming weeks. I feel horrible sometimes thinking about all this things...I know how depressive these things are...specially when you married and have been sleeping with just your husband......:-(

Hi Marie! EXACTLY the same story here, up to the story of lumps that were supposed to be just skin tags. I am going for a colposcopy next week. Did you ever get any answers to your questions?

Kiera

Hi Keira, 

I've just had my results back & it says i have mild diskariosis and positive hpv. It says I have to go for a Colposcopy. Just wondering how did yours go and how long after the letter did u have to wait? I have a mild dull ache in my lower abdomen...right side  Do you have this pain too ? Thanks 

Hi 

Ive had same results low grade dyskariosis and hpv... got go next week for a colposcopy but ive been going out of my mind thinking all sorts, i cant relax or even enjoy life, just keep blaming myself for past mistakes... im just really scared 

Hi there, just been told I have low diskoriosis and positive hpv test. I'm 25 and this was my first one so I'm terrified I've had it that long that it'll be serious when i go for my coloscopy. I rang the hospital and they said I'm on a routine waiting list of 6 weeks and no need to panic but today i have felt so lost. What if it is serious. Any ladies in the same boat. It feels like 6 weeks of hell.

Hi Stephiosity, I’m in the same boat, I waited nearly 5 WEEKS for my smear result and now it’s come back as low grade and HPV. Can’t believe it took that long to tell me! My problem is I was meant to be going travelling to Canada for a year on the 27th March and am now unsure what to do about my treatment! It’s so awful all the waiting. I can’t sleep and feel sick all the time :( At least we’re not alone in this Jo xxx