Tests results and colposcopy

Hi, i found out i have HPV and high grade (moderate) dyskarosis, with my colposcopy booked in for tomorrow. I’m stressing out quite a bit as to whether I will need any treatment tomorrow. In people’s experiences, did you need treatment for the same results I have?

Thanks,
Sarah

Hi Sarah!

I was in exactly the same position as you three weeks ago. I had exactly the same smear results as you.

Whilst examining my cervix, the doctor who did my colposcopy advised I could either have the LLETZ treatment there and then or he could take a biopsy to confirm how progressed the cell changes were before deciding whether the LLETZ was definitely needed (my understanding is that CIN 1 and sometimes CIN 2 can resolve on their own without the LLETZ). He suggested that if I went for the biopsy option it was likely I would be invited back for the LLETZ anyway as my changes looked to be CIN 2 at the least.

I opted to have the LLETZ there and then because I didn’t want to prolong the period of waiting for for biopsy results when I was probably going to have to have the LLETZ regardless. My attitude is very much one of ‘I don’t want this worry hanging over me for any longer than necessary!’ I have also had persistent HPV for four years so I don’t trust that my body would’ve cleared the cell changes even if they were confirmed to be CIN 1 or 2.

My experience with the LLETZ itself was very positive. I’m happy to write in more detail about it if you’d like - but I’m conscious some people would rather not hear all the details!

Good luck with your appointment! Let me know if you have any questions - I’m happy to go as detailed as you want or need!

Hi Br91,

Thank you for your answer, it has helped! If I’m offered treatment I plan to take it there and then as cannot stand the wait inbetween.

Have you had your biopsy results back to say it worked?

Hi Sarah,

How was your appointment? I hope it all went well!

I haven’t had the LLETZ results back yet unfortunately. I was advised they would be back within three weeks but it will be four weeks on Wednesday. I am somewhat reassured though as I am sure I would’ve been called or contacted by now if there were any serious concerns.

Hi,
I did, and they were sure it was CIN1 but took a biopsy to double check. They were so so nice, and took the time to explain everything in detail which was reassuring.
Fingers crossed it comes back soon, but you’re right, they would have put a rush on if anything serious.