So worried

I had pre cancerous cells removed 5.5 years ago, then have subsequently had 2 normal smears in the last 5 years. The last one was 2 years ago.  I had some mid cycle bleeding this month that lasted about 5 days. I went to my GP and she examined me and said she saw what she thinks is cervical ectroption. I was really upset when I got into her office, I burst into tears because I have been so anxious about the bleeding. She said because she could see I was so worried that she could refer me for a colposcopy if i wanted it. She made it sound like it was my decision and I said yes. She warned me that the type of referral was fast track and she didn't want me to panic, that it was for my own reassurance. But I am panicking, I am so so worried. I have a 2 year old daughter now and the thought of not being around for her is making me cry all the time. I am terrified. I called to make my appointment and the booking lady told me it was a cancer pathway and although I basically already knew that, hearing it was awful. I am so scared, does anyone have any reassurance about cervial ectroption being the likely cause? I can't spend the next week worrying like this. 

Helloo, 

i completely understand how you feel and how awful the waiting and worrying can be. I just wanted to respond to say I had bleeding on and off for about a year before my first smear, along with bleeding after sex and pain. The nurse doing my smear noted straight away she could see ectropion and my mind just went into overdrive thinking the worst.

when I was referred to colposcopy I was also under the two week pathway and It panicked me, but my biopsy came back cin2 only, nothing sinister was found and she showed me my ectropion on the screen (very strange but I found it helpful to see what had been causing the issues).

ectropion as I understand can be caused by the pill and other hormonal changes and pregnancy and it is so common, I'd never heard of it before! But I just wanted to say that ectropion can cause bleeding etc and that was the case for me xx

Hi,

Please try not to worry. I know exactly how you feel. But be reassure that it's good they are sending you to the colposcopy and you going to get your appointment quick. It's going to be fine.

I know how you feel I was so scared when I was send to colposcopy and I was sent only because my cervix was hard to touch. Worse days of my life waiting for the results and colposcopy. Plus my dr was "smart" enough to tell me that she thinks it's cancer 50/50 chance. But it results come back as CIN1.

please try not to worry look at positives... you are going to be seen quickly and it's going to be fine. Sending big hugs x

please let us know how it goes x

Thanks so much for your replies.  I have had my appointment now and didn't even have a colposcopy I don't think? The clinician just looked through the microscope and was happy it was just ectroption, she said it looked healthy. She showed me too on the screen and it was strange!  I'm now sort of wishing they had done bipopsies to be sure, but she was the expert and was more than happy with what she saw.  We don't even think the ectroption caused the bleeding now, it seems like it was a very early period cause by a hormonal blip - very odd but thank goodness!!  Thanks again for your replies xxx