Ectroption, pre-colposcopy exam and more worried

Hello.
I’m looking for a bit of advice.
I’ll apologise now- I’m a rambler.

Since Dec 2018 I’ve had irregular bleeding (while taking the combined pill), most of the time it was just spotting but sometimes it would be a full bleed for a few days. The doctors kept saying it was hormones and told me to back to back 3 of my pill packs then break. Another told me to break after every pill pack and another told me this was completely normal.

Finally Dec 2019, I had enough and broke down to yet another doctor. The bleeding had started to happen after sex now and it was just getting downright embarrassing. First thing she said was that she would do an exam. Within 2 minutes of the speculum being in she said she thought I had an ectropion and that she would refer me to the hospital.

Last week I had my hospital appointment which was for my ‘pre-colposcopy assessment’. I was in a lot of pain during it and I could feel the blood running. Once she had done what she needed, she asked me to get dressed. She then said to me that I have what she thinks is a ‘very large and exuding ectropion’. She said that she couldnt see any mass’ but she was going to refer me to get a colposcopy to find out more about these cells as ‘your ectropion is very large for developing since your last smear 18 months ago and it seems very wet and angry’.

It’s been a week since and I’m going out my mind with worry. Its always on my mind, my appetite has vanished, in hardly sleeping and I just feel really down. I thought I’d get more answers/reassurance in that appointment but she just made me more worried.

Is this normal to have such things said about an ectropion?

She mentioned that that clinic (for the colposcopy) is really busy so it might be a wait for the appointment. Will my ectropion get even larger if I have weeks worth of a wait?

What else could this ectropion be?

If you’ve got this far, THANK YOU.
And if you can offer any advice, thank you even more.

Steph xx

Hi Steph I am so sorry that you are having such a worrying time at the moment. I really can't help with the ectropion questions but I don't like to see someone worried an not getting support. Perhaps try the ask the expert on this website or ring the help line someone will be able to help and remember they have heard it all before. What I can agree with is the waiting is horrendous and with the help of Dr Google we can convince ourselves of anything so don't google use this site. Perhaps put the word ectropion in the heading of your question there will be someone with experience. Good luck and take care x