Ectropion

Hi, went to clinic today as been having discharge, spotting. Nurse wouldn’t take a smear as its not due, she looked at my cervix said it looks fine but I have an ectropion. Took swabs for the discharge. Just told me to see gp for gynae referral. Rang gp no appts and told to ring next week. So stressed, I’m ringing back for urgent appt as I’m already a wreck. Any advice? Thank you.

Hi i had an ectropian and doc referred me to colposcopy clinic. They will be able to cauterise the area to stop the bleeding/discharge. Don't be alarmed if they take a biopsy, i went into blind panic, but they always do. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for referral x

Thanks Tan, just stressing over it as always had clear smear results. Going to phone GP tomorrow and speak with them, at least get the referral sorted. The nurse said "cervix looks fine,  but you do have an ectropion". Ok so it's not fine... I'm so worried.

If they did a smear an ectropian wouldn't detect bad cells coz they aren't cancerous. When is your next smear due?

Not until November 17 I did see GP tonight as I've been in such a state for weeks over symptoms. Had exam and she doesn't think it is what the nurse thought...  She said inflamed cervix, bleeding and discharge. Referred to colposcopy. No infection, but she decided on a course of antibiotics to see if discharge stops. Just can't shake the feeling of somethings wrong. 

Nurses\docs see a hell of a lot of cervix and tend to know what looks healthy and not. If you have taken the contraceptive pill for some time that can cause the cervix to erode and bleed/cause discharge. Did your swab results come back clear? No harm in antibiotics as a precaution. Also cells take a long time to develop precancerous and then cancerous so the fact you are upto date with yours until next Nov is good as something would have been picked up on your last smear if there was any changes. I made the mistake of googling and writing in all sorts or forums. Once i was referred with an ectropian i developed so many other symptoms, which turned out to be anxiety (nauses, insomnia, night sweats, fatigue, backache) and i feared the worst. I am thankfully ok and the procedure for my ectropian seems to have done the trick. Roll on my smear this Nov. You will be fine x

That's the thing the nurse said looks fine, but ectropion, next day the GP said I think it isn't ectropion but cervix inflamed. This is second lot of swabs as first clear but symptoms continued. Hoping the antibiotics sort this discharge. Fed up of this going on, when I'm rational i'd take on board the sense you have stated...as you ive googled and I'm expecting the worst. Its been going on and on... Glad that you're ok and clear result this year. Take care and thanks! i know I'll stress til it stops and stress over colposcopy appt..:(

Hi Toothfairy and Tan.
I have just been to the urgent referral clinic after my GP saw Cervical Ectropion about 3 weeks ago, after heavy post coital bleeding. So just this morning I have had a uterus ultrasound and an internal too. Both clear. Then I spoke at length with the gynaecologist (a Mr:) he seemed very knowledgeable and I felt at ease with him. He then looked at my cervix with his eyes (not a microscope etc.) and said I had a good healthy cervix with ectropion.
I have been diagnosed with Strep B bacteria in my vagina from the GP swabs - so he advised taking penicillin for the Step B, he didn’t want to treat the cervix - as it only work on 4 in 10. He suggested a marina coil for my others symptoms of heavy periods etc… And come back in future if needed but prob give it 6 months…
He has no worries about cancer as my smear was clear in March 15.

Now I want to be happy - but I’m not…

I know that smears get wrongly diagnosed all the time (my 32 year old relative has just had a full hysterectomy from a missed smear result) and all the websites say cervical ectropion and early pre-cancer look the same… So how can he and me be at rest just by a visual viewing??

He had said he would take biopsies and look in my womb if anything worrying was presenting - but then he was pleased with my cervix - eek?

I want to relax and trust this - but having been chewed up for weeks now - I just feel sick and I’m back in work lol.

Any thoughts ladies - THANK YOU XXX

Hi Skinnylatte, glad you've been seen today. It seems the Consultant gave you a thorough check over. I think when we've been left to think, whatever we are told we still question. I know I am. 

If he'd seen anything of concern surely he would have sent you to colposcopy...

Are you going ahead with Mirena? If you are still concerned could you ask for colposcopy? Would that put your mind at rest? 

Im still waiting for my appt... Stressing. 

Xx

Hey guys new to this. I've just had my coloscopy because I had an extropion. Nurse said its huge and extremely raw so had two punch biopsy taken and smear. Just waiting on results of that now. How long you guys all been waiting? nurse said they will have to put me to sleep to sort ectropion. I'm worried about the biopsy tho got lots of symtoms, worrying myself sick here. love to all you guys xx

Hi Hayley sorry only just seen your msg. Have you had your punch biopsy and smear results back? 

Hello,
I know this is an old post but hopefully someone will see this!

So, I’m 40, have 6 children, youngest is 4. Always had regular smears which have always been clear. I did missed one in between my 2 youngest sad it was due while I was pregnant, but had one as soon as I could after. I’ve had the same partner for 15 years.

Last year I had some spotting after sex which has never happened to me before! I was worried sick!
I went to the GP for an examination and she said I had ectropion and that it had been noted at my last smear 8 months prior. She also said she could see a bruise which was bleeding. She referred me via the cancer route to make it faster. I was seen within a week.
The gynae didn’t seem worried at all. He put the dye in and had a look. He said what the GP had seen was the ectropion healing.
So that was a massive relief!
All has been fine since.

Then a couple of weeks ago, around ovulation, I think I had a bit if spotting but could be 100% as I had blue underwear on!
Then 2 days later I spotted after sex, then my period came about 6 days later which started with spotting.

I’ve just been to see the same GP for an examination. She said I had a lot of discharge which she swabbed but said it could be because it around ovulation time. I’ve also read that ectropion can cause lots of discharge. She said I have ectropion and an “area of irritation.” I asked her what she meant by that and she said kind of like a bruise or an ulcer. I reminded her that last time she had described it as a bruise. She looked through her notes and she had written pretty much the same description last time. She read out, “ulcerated bruise.” She didn’t say that to my last time, just bruise that was bleeding.
She said she wanted to refer me down the 2 week route again for her own reassurance as much as mine.
So, my hope it it’s just the same as before. I suffer massively with health anxiety, but I’m slightly less worried this time as I’m almost certain it’s the same again.
But what if it’s not?! Would the dye the gynae used last time have shown anything up if there was something other than ectropion??
I’m so worried they’ve missed something or it’s been there the whole time! But then surely it worries have happened all year?!

I just need to put my mi d at ease while I wait!

Sorry for long lost, thanks for reading!! :slight_smile: