Told I have ectropion, but no offer of smear

Hello,

Hoping I can get some advice with regards to recent GP appointment. Can’t stop panicking and wondering whether I have received correct advice!

I am on the pill, and have had light spotting a couple of days per month for about 6 months now. The symptoms themselves don’t bother me, but worry me because I have never had spotting before. Nurse changed my pill but it didn’t make a difference. Had vaginal swabs done, all results normal. Forgot to add that I am 21 and have had HPV vaccine.

Went to see GP who had a look and said I have cervical ectropion. She was not worried in the least and I was not offered a smear. Since coming home and googling (I know, I know) I wonder if I should have been offered one, as I have read that cervical cancer is hard to distinguish from ectropion!!

I was, however, offered an ultrasound scan which I have accepted. My concern is, would this actually detect anything CC related?

I am a worrier and this is getting me down at the moment :frowning: would really like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance and sorry for typos, on mobile! x

Hi there. I had an ectropian last summer and was referred to have it cauterised to stop my random spotting. They then took a closer look at the colposcopy clinic and I no longer have one. They do sometimes go away on their own. Nurses do look at cervix all the time and can spot nasty cervix, so do trust their judgement, or if not seek a second opinion. I am older than you and have had previous clear smears though. I haven't really taken the pill for long periods, so I was worried that I didn't have an ectropian, because they are common if you do take the pill, which you do. I had an ultrasound too and they will look at everything, esp the thickening of the womb. I'm also sure that anything obvious will come up on the scan. Wishing you the best for your appt x

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! You're right, my doctor must see this all the time. She did say that I could have the ectropion treated if I found it annoying in the future. 

I have been on the pill for over 3 years now so I think that was why GP wasn't surprised.

Thanks again!