Ectropion treatment?

Morning all! Just a little background on me - I was found to have squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix around 9 years ago which I had treatment for and now have yearly colposcopy. Each time I go they always tell me I have an ectropion, it’s never caused me any bother at all so I’ve never thought any more about it. For the past 6 months I’ve been bleeding after sex & every time I have a bowel movement, not heavy enough to be alarmed but enough for it to be a nuisance as it now happens daily. The GP has examined me & confirmed that it’s likely to be the ectropian and has suggested changing my contraceptive pill. Has anyone had any similar experiences? As it turns out the pill he’s prescribed actually says you shouldn’t take it if you’ve had cervical cancer in the past so I cant take it anyway, I’m just wondering if anyone has had successful treatment of an ectropion as I don’t think mine is going to settle on its own now.
Thank you!

Hi Suzieb87

I don’t have any experience of cervical ectropion but just noticed you haven’t had any replies yet. I suggest going back to your doctor because it appears you have been inappropriately prescribed a type of contraceptive pill.

in case you haven’t already found it there is some information on this website about ectropion:
https://www.jostrust.org.uk/information/cervix/cervical-ectropion

So your GP has said your bleeding is ‘likely’ to be the ectropion. Are you comfortable with that diagnosis? If in doubt I would consider asking for further investigtions - just in case. Maybe your next coloscopy could be brought forward if it’s not due for several months?

x

1 Like

Hi Suzie. I have had treatment for an erosion (I think they are the same thing). The treatment I had was cold coagulation and it fixed my post coital bleeding straight away. They advised that it was likely due to the pill but referred me to colposcopy to check it closer and my smear at the time showed I had abnormal cells too although not the type that needed treatment but type you could wait and watch as normally it clears up on it’s own. As I was bleeding regularly after sex and there was a lot of blood they treated it to fix both things at the same time. If the colposcopy clinic have had a close look and ruled anything else out then try changing your pill or even come off it for a while to see if it helps. If it doesn’t you can ask for treatment especially if it’s affecting you day to day.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, that’s really helpful. I have thought about changing my pill but it’s an absolute minefield! I’ll see if the practise nurse can advise me x

1 Like

I went onto the mini pill as I had to stop taking the combined as started getting migraines. It has been fantastic and really suits me and stopped my periods completely but all pills / treatments can have a downside. I had my treatment 18 years ago (gosh that makes me feel old!) but I now have a stenosed cervix which the Consultant thinks has been caused by a mix of the cold coagulation, mini pill and normal changes thanks to the peri menopause. I had the option of having the coil fitted during a hysteroscopy and in hindsight I think that would have been a good option but decided against it as was newly single lol. Again the mini pill has been great for me despite my cervix having a mind of it’s own :rofl: but yes book in with the Practice Nurse and see what your options are. The cold coagulation can fix it but if you stay on the combined pill, it can come back.

Hi, I had an ectropian 4 years ago and after the colposcopy they offered me cold coalagation. X