Smear results

Hello im new to this site and need some reassurance (i think) ive had my smear results back and have tested positive for hpv and borderline changes, now apart from being sent a leaflet to say i need a colopscopy i have no information what this means, ive scared myself silly on google before i read about this site and praises for advice and support. I had my last smear 2012 and due to personal reasons didnt go to the 2015 one (my fault i know) but now im scared ive left things too long and that its all going to be bad news, my appointment isnt till 15th november and the waiting is awful, its all i think about day and night, am so worried, thanks for reading 

Hi

I’ve had two Colposcopies and both were easy, the staff were very warm and put me at ease and I wasn’t at the hospital very long. You can ask whatever questions you like and they will explain what they are doing during the exam. 

They may take some biopsies to take a closer look at the lab but the chances are that you’ll have a small amount of abnormal changes and they may suggest treatment to have them removed. 

For me the hard part was not the exams it was the waiting and letting my imagination go wild with the worst outcomes. But remember abnormal cell changes are really common and easily treated! Don’t beat yourself up about missing your last one, you’re doing the right thing now. I would also suggest asking about HPV because you do not get enough information about it! 

Good luck :) 

Hi Ckosmith, I think I'm exactly the same as you, had my first 2012 then missed the next one, it's only when I went to the doctor's a couple of months ago she said was overdue for a smear and she booked me in for one early September.

I got the my results within around 3 weeks - low grade changes and HPV positive which is also the same as you. The nurse told me that it could well be in 6 months that I had another smear the HPV may not be there as your body can fight it off which is reassuring to know!

I was very worried like you and just wanted the colposcopy asap as it wasn't the procedure I was bothered about, it was what they may find.

I had my colposcopy Monday just gone, it's quite similar to a smear, she put some dye on the cervix and she said she could find a couple of small areas so she took some biopsies, you can feel this a bit but it's not a sharp pain or anything. The nurses were really nice, they try to keep you talking so you forget what's going on haha.

They told me it would be around 4 weeks for the results. I have a friend who is a doctor and she told me if they could see anything obvious they would done treatment there and then which I would have kind of preferred. 

I had period type pain straight after but could go about my day as normal after the biopsy. Since then I have had light pale pink bleeding and small silver clumps (i think this is what they put on the cervix to stem the bleeding) , I was due on yesterday and couldn't tell which is which. I think I have actually come on a day late today however as it's more like a period but heavier than usual.

I'd just thought I'd try give you as much info as possible and for you not to worry :) This is the whole point of smears and colposcopy so they can give you the necessary treatment.

I have a friend who had high grade changes about this time last year, she had treatment then went back earlier this year and her cells were back to normal.

I feel annoyed with myself that I missed a smear but so glad I went for my smear this time and i can get the help I need.

And if it was anything serious they wouldn't put you in for a colp in a months time I bet. I will probably get my biopsy results before you go for your colp so I'll keep you posted seeing as you have the same grade changes as me :)

Thank you both for your replies, both habe reassured me a little, still just this nagging thoughts that can creep up on you all of a sudden, im not sure im worried about the procudeure too much just what they find and i have trouble with my hips so not sure i can keep still long enough, i hope your results are all ok when they come through, i swear the waiitng is awful x

Just to let you know I got my results in the post yesterday. It found low grade changes - CIN1 and for me to go for a smear in 1 years time and therefore discharged from the Colposcopy clinic.

A weight off my shoulders and I know it's easier said than done but please try not to worry and dwell on it. I wasted a lot of unnecessary time and energy worrying! Xx

Hi thank you for letting me know how you got on, im so glad things are "ok" for you, hopefully in a year everything will be normal again, i have a week to go for my appointment and must admit these past few weeks have been a rollercoaster of emotions, days of crying and thinking the worst and days of being positive (althoygh bad has out weighed tbe good) but as the appointment is getting nearer im finding i feel calmer... im sure the 15th will be a different story, i feel im being 'selfish' in a way though as i keep getting upset and actually dont know what is technically there and wrong yet when so many others are going thrpugh worse if tbat make sense?!?! 

Anyway as i said im glad you are ok and hopefully i can update with an "im ok" too post xx

You aren't being selfish, it's just an awful worry. I was exactly the same as you but I didn't have as long to wait and it was a relief when the day came!

This is the whole point of smears that you can get the treatment if anything abnormal is found, you've done the hardest part going for the smear in the first place as I've been reading its at a 20 year low people getting tested!

I bet you will tell yourself why you were getting so worried over it all, try and do things to take your mind off it :)

Just a quick update, im back from appointment, she took 2 biopsies and said in her opinion she said there is def CIN there but the biopsy will determine what grade, so another long stressful wait on the results but she said she would pribably end up seeing me again for further treatment so not sounding good :-( 

Even if you do need treatment then at least it's getting sorted. You are in the right hands :)

Also it might be worth ringing the clinic in like 2 weeks to see if they have your results. As I recieved my letter 3 weeks after the colposcopy but the letter was dated a week earlier.

Keep us posted when you hear :)