Side effects of radical trachelectomy

Hi everyone,
I’m new to Jos trust!
I was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer 1b1 and went to London for a radical trachelectomy.
I was in for 5 days and seemed to get on ok, since getting home I have noticed very numb thighs and pelvis area.
I understand this can be normal but it has progressed on to being sore to even touch, almost like a burning feeing of anything is brushed against the skin.
Is this normal?

Thank you in advance for any replies :slight_smile:

Hi there 

Welcome to the forum.  I had a trachelectomy in Feb 2015.  I had numbness at first followed by the area being really, really oversensitive.  I think this is the nerves coming back to life after the op and it can be pretty painful. It's a good thing in the long run though!  

Keep an eye on it and if you suspect any kind of infection (redness, discharge from incision, extreme pain or fever) then be sure to call your nurse or see your GP.  How are you feeling otherwise?  If you are interested there is also a facebook group with over 100 women from around the world who have had trachs.  They are a lovely bunch.  The group is completley private and closed (won't appear in your feed). Link below in case you want to join. Hope you have a speedy recovery xxx

Try the link below or search TTL Trachelectomy Group on facebook 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/231347643723363/

Hi Nellie, 

Thank you so much, that has really put my mind at ease, it does feel a little hot but I think because I was worrying so much it could have been a little physcholigocal also but I will definitely keep an eye on it. 

I feel ok, I came home on Friday and my husband took part in a charity day for force cancer charity on Saturday which I was stubborn enough to attend much to his disapproval and I think I over did it with sitting upright for so long so my back is a little sore. 

My incisions look like they are heeling well I just hate the daily injections! 

How did you get on with your trach? How has your recovery and post op been?

Xx

Hi Nellie, 

Thank you so much, that has really put my mind at ease, it does feel a little hot but I think because I was worrying so much it could have been a little physcholigocal also but I will definitely keep an eye on it. 

I feel ok, I came home on Friday and my husband took part in a charity day for force cancer charity on Saturday which I was stubborn enough to attend much to his disapproval and I think I over did it with sitting upright for so long so my back is a little sore. 

My incisions look like they are heeling well I just hate the daily injections! 

How did you get on with your trach? How has your recovery and post op been?

Xx

WOW you are doing well getting out after such a short time! Make sure you take it slowly.  It all looks nice and neat on the outside but there is lot of healing going on inside.

My trach was successful. Clear margins, no more treatment and follow ups all clear a year and a half later. Recovery was also fine and nowhere near as bad as i'd imagined.  I felt more or less back to normal after 3-4 weeks and completely back to normal after 6.  I still have a tiny bit of a numb patch on my thigh but all is great apart from that!  

The daily injections are nasty - they sting something awful don't they!  They will be done and dusted before you know it though.  

If you have any concerns while you are healing, feel free to pop me a message anytime.  

Speedy recovery xxxx

When I spoke to my consultant after the op about the numbness she said that it was normal and due to nerve damage where she had removed my lymph nodes. She told me it would improve but might take a VERY long time and was likely to feel worse before it got better and might be really quite sore. 

I hope it starts to improve for you soon.