Severe Dyskaryosis and first colposcopy :(

Hi,

So I am 30 and only just went for a smear in October, stupid I know!! Results came back 18/11 high grade hpv and severe dyskaryosis. Letter through for colposcopy day after results, for Tuesday 24/11. Feeling really low now and worried I've left it to develop into something more sinister. No symptoms up until about a week or so before smear results had bleeding in betweeny period which I've never had before and also some cramps. I've had people say oh it will be fine they will be just precancerous and they cells will be taken away etc etc but feeling really anxious. Also does the needles if I have LLETZ hurt? The ones to numb cervix? Advice please any welcome. 

I had an abnormal smear after missing two smears and like you I was so worried, terrified. My colposcopies were both done under a general anaesthetic though so I can't say how the local is though I think most people say it's a quick pinch.

I had no symptoms at all but a spot of blood following the smear. Which I guess must have been a symptom. They did find cancer for me. But that's the point. You want them to find it if it's there. But it might not be. Fingers crossed for you. But I remember sleepless nights thinking the world had ended while I waited for the first LLETZ. I have never been so scared. Your imagination just runs amok. Not knowing is the worst, your brain insists on filling in the gaps for you. 

Take care of yourself. This is scary stuff. You need to look after yourself and allow yourself to deal with the fear - can you reduce other pressures in your life? Do you have people around supporting you? I've told all my work and my colleagues and warned them I might be a bit slow or less focussed for a bit and they're really good if I need to take time out. I hope your circumstances are full of support for you. 

The fear is normal, and nothing will take it away till you have some answers and I have everything crossed for you that they're good anwers xxxx

Hi,

I just wanted to re-iterate what Cagney said...it's terrifying and completely normal to feel anxious. I had a lletz on Monday, it was supposed to be under GA but I completely freaked out and they allowed me to have it done under local with gas and air. I have a very severe needle phobia (I have to have numbing cream every time, I've fainted more times than I can count, ran out of rooms when I've supposed to have been having a blood test...you name it) and honestly, the needle hurt a little bit (a small pinch) but it was nothing compared to what I thought it would be and it was done so fast. I've had second degree tears after each childbirth and the local anaesthetic used to get stitches for that really hurts...that's what I was expecting with the lletz but it was genuinely fine. After that I did not feel a single thing and I wouldn't have even known the surgeon was doing anything if she hadn't have told me. I  honestly was hysterical before having at done at the thought of it, but I would be so much calmer if I ever had to have another one. I really hope this helps!x