Second Colposcopy - HELP

Hi all,

I am 21 years old and going for my second Colposcopy, very nervous! Since I have started smears I have never had a clear one. I was first referred to the Colposcopy clinic last June and after visiting I was reassured everything was ok and my next smear would come back normal. This was not the case, 2 smears later I have another referral. I went to my GP yesterday hoping to receive reassurance and more information on why this is happening yet all she said was to ask Colposcopy and mention how everyone worries to much after Jade Goody passed.

I am very nervous and upset, and have to wait 8 weeks to get an appointment through. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on this? or if they have been through a similar situation? I think it is worse as I cant confide in my friends who have only had 1 smear ( im on my 8th!!) and all has come back clear.]

Thanks in advance.

Hiya, I don't have any specific advice to offer but just wanted to reassure you that you're not the only one!  Since last April when my routine smear came back with high grade changes, I've had a colposcopy with biopsies (clear), another smear (high grade again), another colposcopy with lletz (clear), a futher colposcopy and currently awaiting my third smear at the end of the month!

They can't see anything anything at all wrong at colposcopy but the results just keep coming back high grade - so I really do understand how frustrating and worrying it is, and I just wanted to let you know there's other people in the same boat!

I had a meeting with my consultant who completely reassured me that they are taking it seriously and won't stop investigating until they've found why my smear tests are showing changes, and I'm sure your team are exactly like mine so please don't fret that they're not taking it seriously.  You won't be discharged until they're satisfied.

The only advice I can offer is that if you're worried or have questions, call your colposcopy clinic - I'm basically stalking the secretary at mine as the results take sooooo long to arrive and a couple of letters have gone missing, so I've given up waiting and just call as soon as it gets to 6 weeks each time.  It's your health, so don't be afraid to call up and advocate on your own behalf and ask any questions that you need to until you get some reassurance!  I only got to see my consultant because when they told me they'd decided to wait 3 months and do another smear, I told them I wasn't waiting that long to talk to an actual doctor and demanded that I get a face to face meeting to go over everything, and they were quite happy to oblige.

If you're able to get to the clinic reasonably quickly then you can always ask them to call you if they get any cancellations - then you might not have to wait so long for your appointment.

Sorry this has turned into an essay!  Take care xx