Scared.

Hi all, 

I’m not really sure what i’m doing here and well i’m not really sure what to say, so here goes. I’m 26 year old (27 in June) and I recently went for my first ever smear test, I’d not been when I turned 25 due to undergoing tests for PCOS and endometriosis at the time and having a close family bereavement etc (life got in the way), I know it’s not an excuse, before I knew it a year had passed and I’d moved house and not updated my address with my GP, by the time I’d gotten round to doing it I received another letter inviting me for my smear (over a year and a half later), days after reading an article about Jade Goody strangely enough, I booked the appointment and went and had the test, I was informed to expect to wait 6 weeks for my results, within a week I had a letter from the hospital, saying I had a ‘HPV positive’ result and high-grade (severe) dyskaryosis and have been invited for a colposcopy.

Im now going out of my mind with worry, stupidly I let myself think everything was going to be fine, I’m annoyed at myself for not going sooner and I’m also annoyed for going at all (stupid as it sounds) but more than anything I’m just scared. 

Ive not spoken to anyone but I’ve got no idea what happens next? Is anyone else in the same position? And more than anything I need someone to be able to talk to cry

Thank you for taking the time to read my post x

Hello! I'm in a pretty similar situation to you, 25, just had my first smear a couple of weeks ago (which I avoided for a few months) and have my colpo booked in. Have my colposcopy tomorrow, and I'm also really scared. My mum is having to drive a couple of hours to make sure I go...

But whats worrying you? Is it that you got your results/appointment so soon? I got my appointment booked about a week after I had my smear. I think chances are if you have high-grade changes they're likely to do the LLETZ procedure, which I'm expecting to happen tomorrow as well. Then I guess around 4 weeks after that you find out more about the cells that they removed that day. 

Anyway, you can talk to me! I know how lonely it feels, but reading some of the 'Jo's Stories' on here made me feel better. 

I am 25, I had my first smear on Jan 28. 3 weeks went by and I received my letter saying I had severe Dyskaryosis and I was booked in for a colposcopy on 28th of  Feb.

HPV is normal and effects almost everyone at some point, and will likely clear up on its own.

Dyskaryosis just means a change in the cells of your cervix that’s all. The likelihood of it being sinister is very low! 

I had my colposcopy 3 days ago. It was pretty much like a smear test just lasted a little longer. 

My nurse was shocked to see how healthy my cervix actually looked considering my results came back “severe”. I had a small area of cells around the hole of my cervix and that was all.

I ended up having the LLETZ treatment there and then just so she could double check the funky cells where not further up. 

I’m currently waiting for my results which should be due by the 22nd. 

I know it is very scary waiting around! Your mind will wander to all sorts of places! My best advice is To only read up on it via the NHS website, and not google things. 

You are in the best possible hands and doing all the right things. You will get more answers at your colposcopy appointment. Don’t be afraid to ring and ask to speak to a doctor or nurse if you need peace of mind. 

xoxo

Just to report, I had LLETZ today and it wasn't scary at all! I looked at the screen and could see what I'm calling my danger donut, and the doctor explained everything they could see, the solutions applied to bring out abnormalties etc etc. The procedure was super quick and I didn't feel a thing. I was worried I'd be able to smell burning but I didn't. Once it was over they took me to a little recovery room with tea and biscuits which was really nice, especially a bit of sugar after something like that! They remove what they see is abnormal, and that is both the treatment and the biopsy. Shall get results for that in 3-4 weeks, as a letter from the doctor, and assuming it comes back as CIN2/3 I just have to go back in 6 months for a second smear to make sure they got it all out. In the very unlikely case it is cancer, I'm confident I'm in good hands. 

Don't let your imagination run wild is all can advise! As said above avoid googling anything, stick to NHS and Jo's Trust for information. Another thing I did was made plans to treat myself a bit that day, which helped me get over it pretty quick. Hope you're feeling better x

A little history about myself to hopefully ease your mind...I am a 50 year old woman who hasn't had a pap test in 25 years, I am a smoker, and  I haven't been sexually active in many years (TMI I know but you will understand when I'm done)...Due to finding out I was anemic due to heavy periods, I was sent to a a ob/gyn (first ob/gyn doc I ever had) to find out why...She gave me a pap, pelvic, biopsy on the uterus, and pelvic and transvaginal ultrasounds...She gave me all that just to be sure and with my age that no cancers were detected...Fast forward to 3 weeks later I was sent for a colposcopy when the results of my pap came in

I went for that and 3 biopsies were taken...fast forward to 3 weeks and I got a call to go for a leep..I go for the leep and was told it was going to change to a cone biopsy because the leison was to big on cervix, so another biopsy was taken on top of a pelvic exam...I go for my cone on April 18th...When I saw my doctor a couple of weeks back, I was told i have severe high grade cells, but that it was NOT CANCER, it was only a pre-cancer...I trust this because she had taken 3 biopsies on the day of colposcopy and another when I was suppose to get the leep.

The moral of my story is this, I am a 50 year old woman, a smoker, and not sexually active, the risks of me having cancer was very high because of my age, smoking, not having paps, and not sexually active so the abnormal cells would have turned to cancer by now. ...With my results I do have HPV and I must have had it for many years...Last pap I had was 25 years ago and it was abnormal then, and I was told to go back but I never did because of my fear (stupid I know). So my story tells you  how slow growing it grows...I thank God for me being anemic with my heavy periods (which by the way are caused by fibroids that was detected by the pelvic ultrasound) that prompted my doctor to send me to a ob/gyn. I got very lucky

I know it's scary, but try to think positive.  You are young, and the likeliness of it being cancer at your age is very low...Yes, it does happen but it's very low...I am at more of a risk because I don't keep up with paps, and I'm much older so these severe abnormal cells that I could have had for years could turn at anytime to cancer I don't know. 

Hi Ladies! 

I’m so sorry I’ve only just seen everyone’s replies! I went for my colposcopy and they did the lletz procedure they graded it as CIN3 and I’m waiting on my results!

Thank you all so much for your kind words as I’m currently going out of my mind thinking about these results now and I have to go back for a smear in 6 months, I think I just got myself into a panic about the whole thing! 

Kerry x