Got my smear results and really nervous

Had my second smear recently in my life, I’m 31. First was normal. Just received the results and it’s come back with abnormalities which tells you not to worry or panic but then reading more into the letter says that the test was positive for the HPV virus. So now my head is all over the place. It says I will receive an appointment for an colposcopy within a fortnight but I know I’m not gonna be able to rest till I know everything is ok. Any advice?  

Hi katiekat i had exactly the same i got my letter saying abnormalities didn't even no I had hpv until I went for my colposcopy a week later when I got told I didn't even no what abnormalities i had apparently mine is further up from the cervix so immediately I had Lletz and a biopsy that was on the 26th of Feb I'm just waiting on results now the waiting is the worse but your  not on your own were all here some for the same reason others for different reasons and this site has sure helped me it's amazing I hope everything goes ok for you x

Hiya, Im in the same boat. Smear test results came in on the 14th gotta wait until 26th for colposcopy. My advice is take some deep breaths. Read some of the forums n try n just make it through the first 48hrs whilst your mind goes bonkers. If it helps right a journal or speak to someone about the thing that makes you want to cry the most. Let it out, realise your fears and then hopefully like it did after 48hrs it settled for me. I accepted it. We are still exactly the same people we were before we opened those envelopes and we will be until the appoinments nothing has changed. We just have the knowledge now that are cells have changed and the doctors n nurses can hopefully use that knowledge to fix whatever needs to be fixed. I hope like me the first 48hrs are worst for you and then you can get back to semi normal whilst you wait xx

Thank you for your kind reply and advice, initially reading it I was fine on the phone to my mum, it was the moment I put the phone down that it broke me, but I snapped out of it with my kids around as they are both nearly teenagers and they’re not silly. So I didn’t want to worry them. So I’m gonna pull my big girl pants up and see how this rides out! I had a stroke 5yrs ago so my luck seems to be crap! x