how long was your wait?

Yesterday I received a letter saying my smear test was abnormal, with low grade dyskaryosis with evidence of high risk HPV. I’ve just rung the colposcopy dept at the hospital and my appointment is nearly a month away? Is this normal? I can imagine it’s a busy service?

I've had my smear but my GP was more concerned with the appearance of my cervix so she's requested a colposcopy and biopsy and when I phoned the booking office this week, they'd "vetted" it and 'escalated' the referral but I haven't got a date as yet , they said they would be getting in touch very soon. I am a little anxious but as the smear came back normal i can only hope that the colposcopy wont throw anything else up! its a bit of a roller coaster as i've never been referred for colposcopy before a nd the fact she referred me even before the smear came back made me think uh oh but i understand its just to rule anything else out. im trying not to worry but its not easy!

Hope you're not kept waiting too long and hope everything is ok x 

Mine was high grade and an appointment made for 2 weeks after. Maybe if yours is low grade they make it 4 weeks? No idea how they work it out. And looking at everyone's different outcomes on here it very much depends on the area too. 

emma xxxx

double post, sorry!

Hi there, 

I think Orlatrudy is probably right. I had a high grade abnormality (actually turned out to be moderate!) last year and got an appointment within 2 weeks, which was a bit scary! So low grade could be within a month as you'll be less likely to need lletz.

Also, I had a biopsy to begin with as it looked as though there might've been nothing wrong, and then got an appointment a week later for the lletz treatment. Obviously I nearly pooed myself with worry at the rapid turnaround, but the consultant said they are duty bound to just offer you the soonest possible appointment. I guess occasionally they might not have many appointments so the initial wait could be longer!

Emma x

I wonder if it varies depending on the trust policy? When I rang the booking office they said they offer 2,4 and 6 week appointments, depending on the medical information and the urgency of the referral . I'm in the south west (Cornwall)

thankyou all :) x