The waiting ?

Hi all,

Bit of back story - I've had only had 2 smears and both with mild changes and HPV+.

Last year I was put onto yearly checks so it's that time and my smear is booked for next week. How long is everyone waiting for results with everything going on?

Last year I had a colposcopy in May (2 months after my smear test) and I know I was so lucky. It was meant to be in July (4 months after) but they had a cancellation and offered it to me. But I just remember how awful the waiting is :( I can't remember how long my smear results took but they must have been pretty quick to have the colposcopy appointment in May.

And last year I genuinely didn't think anything would be wrong; I made sure to get as healthy as I could to clear the HPV but 3 years and it was either still there/had come back (my nurse thinks still there as the changes had gotten worse). My first smear they said it was probably abnormal because of breastfeeding and lowered immune system.

But now I have a few symptoms (nothing huge and no bleeding) and have felt bumps on my cervix so not feeling hopeful that this smear will be any different. 

I felt fine about this until I rang and booked the appointment and now it's all on my mind again :(

Hi DaisyRose, 

Hope your doing ok. The waiting is definitely the hardest part, all depends where you are I suppose as a lot of people have received their results within different timeframes. 
I had my smear December 14th 2020. I didn't receive my results until 22nd January so just over 5weeks.

I was booked in for colposcopy 02 February which was cancelled twice because of covid. I eventually got in on the 25th February and the biopsy result from that took 3 weeks.
I had lletz treatment on the 6th April and I am still currently waiting for those results. I'm not saying that this is what you will need but just giving you a rough idea how long the waiting has been for myself. I live in Swansea. 

Will be thinking of you and I hope everything goes ok for you. Try to do things you enjoy to keep yourself occupied. I know it's easier said than done as I'm stalking the postman every day waiting for my results ? xx

Hi DaisyRose, 

The waiting is definitely hard. I feel like it took a while for my smear results to come back but I put it down to Covid. I went for my smear mid Feb and didn't get a call from the hospital until early April with my results. Apparently I should have recieved a letter before this but it didn't get to me. I got booked in for my colposcopy appointment fairly quickly and then results came about 2 weeks after that. 

My lletz treatment was on the 28th April and now back onto waiting again. I hope you've managed to keep your mind on other things but I know how difficult it can be. 

Hi DaisyRose,

I feel you, those sleepless nights thinking of the results. I'm just wondering what did you do that made the nurse say that your changes made it worse?

Sorry it wasn't my changing anything that made it worse; my cell changes worsened over the 3 years instead of improving. Should have worded that better! 

Thanks for the reply's. Had the smear today and the nurse said about 4 weeks for results at the minute but she will ring me before the letter comes which she always has done so that's good to know.

I bled at the smear though which has never happened before, not even at colposcopy :( trying to stay positive as I know this can be normal so now to keep my mind busy for another 4 weeks haha! 

Thought I would update for anyone looking in the future - results took just under 4 weeks to come back and HPV still there and abnormal changes again so back to colposcopy!