Results just say “abnormal”

Hi, I was wondering why my results just say “abnormal result” and it doesn’t grade what kind of abnormal result. 

I’ve been scheduled for a colposcopy for 13th March which seems a long way away when you’re worried. 

I’m in North Wales. Not sure if different areas give more information. 

Should I phone my doctors for more information? 

Renée 

Hi I've just had exactly the same letter and just posted my self i had a smear done and just had a letter saying abnormal cells followed by a colposcopy on the 26th of this month i panicked and rang my doctor is all she said was I have a lesion what ever that is and hpv that's all they said no c cin no grade ect nothing I just got told to wait till the 26th if your worried I would definatly ring up...I hope you get sorted x

I think sometimes it's hard to say what grade your changes look like but they can see some abnormalities there and so refer you on. Use the search tool on this forum? This is the most helpful place for information. I've seen this abnormal result quite a few times. Xxx

mrsarmitage90 

Yes I can understand that, thank you for your reply x

I’m in exactly the same boat as you, and from north wales too! I received my “abnormal” result on Friday, been feeling extremely anxious today so phoned my doctors surgery and the secretary in the hospital who said they no longer do the staging anymore on the letters. 

She did also tell me based on the staging depends on how soon you’ll have the colcoscopy, urgent is within 2 weeks. Both would not give me the staging result over the phone either.

Hope this helps and fingers crossed all goes ok for you x

Hi Ladies,

I'm in Bristol and 13 years ago had advanced CIN 3 detected by my smear, they called me at work and told me to go to colposcopy the next day for a "look" and I was treated straight away with Lletz.

In September of 2018 I had bleeding after sex and went to Doc who saw an ectropion and sent me to gynaecology, who saw a large white patch and sent me to colposcopy. Biopsy said CIN 2, but it was actually CIN 3 again.

If they aren't rushing you in after your smear, but have stated that there are abnormalities, I would think it's CIN 1 or 2, so try not to worry too much. Trust your own body though and push for help if you think somethings wrong. Good luck. X

Hi Renee, I live in Wales too and I also had an abnormal results letter this week. Did you manage to find out anymore details or do we just have to wait for the colposcopy? Also was your appointment letter in with your smear result letter and how long of a wait do you have for your colposcopy? Thank you x

Just re-read and realsed your colposcopy is today. Good luck xx 

Hi there, I have just recieved the same letter and Im worried. Did you ring your doctors for more info and could they give it to you? x

Hi, I've just had the same letter and a colposcopy appointment for next week. Did you find out what grade you were? I rang my doctor he said the letter just says high risk hpv and abnormal so he couldn't tell me anymore. X

Hi there, I've received a letter saying hpv positive and abnormal cells but the letter doesn't say what grade. I'm so worried that this means bad news. How did everyone here get on? X

Hi all,

I am also in Wales and I received a letter saying “HPV positive and abnormal cells” with no information on what grade, but I had an appointment booked for 3 weeks away.

I decided to book a private consultation with my health insurance and the consultant was able to ring up and find out more information on my “abnormal” result and said that I had moderate dyskariosis, which is most likely linked to CIN 2 or CIN 3. I have my colposcopy on Tuesday, so I will get more of an idea then, but I am glad that I have been able to prepare myself for most likely having treatment.

Hope your appointment was okay and you are doing well.

1 Like

Hi I’m also from North Wales and in the same boat. I had my smear 2nd of Feb and the a letter last sat (over 6 weeks later) saying I’ve been referred for a colposcopy due to abnormal results. Nothing stating about HPV or anything. I’ve called my gp this morning to see if they can give me more information to what was found…it stated on the letter to call and speak to who took your test. They said they will call me back later today. I’m really worried…my smears have always come back fine and my last one in 2019 said I was Neg for HPV (same partner for over 17 years :woman_shrugging:t3: I’m actually booked in to see a private Gyno tomorrow ( that was booked weeks ago) due to abnormal discharge and the movable lumps deep in my labia…I found these lumps back in 2016 and they have been checked by 3 doctors and they all said they didn’t think it was anything to worry about…so as they have grown slightly and sometimes ache I wanted to go private for a second opinion…so obviously I’m now very stressed x