Results from colposcopy biopsy sent first class within 2 weeks

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and just looking for some advice as I'm jumping to all sorts of conclusions!

I had a smear in October 19 and it came back borderline abnormal cells and high risk HPV. 

I had my colposcopy on friday 24th Jan. The nurse said she didn't think I needed treatment but wanted to take a biopsy just to be sure and said to wait 4 weeks for results.

I came home from work today with an appointment for a follow up (just under 2 weeks from my colposcopy) and was sent first class!! 

Because its come back alot quicker than the nurse stated and was sent first class should I be worried??

I'm petrified and supposed to be getting married in the summer but with this looming over me I can't think of anything else!

How long did everyone else wait for their biopsy results and because its come through quicker does it mean that the results are worse?

Thanks, C

I don't think the time frame means anything. Think it just depends how busy the lab is and how efficient the admin staff are at sending letters out. I've had lots of biopsies taken and usually only takes a couple of weeks and nurses are just guessing at time frame, I think they sometimes say longer too to stop people calling up to chase results. When is your follow up appointment and what does the letter say? 

Hi libby123

Thanks for your reply. I've actually had another letter today with my results and says CIN2 so that will be why I have the follow up appointment. Feeling so overwhelmed with it all to be honest and just want to not have to worry.

How have you got on with your biopsy? Have you had any treatment to remove abnormal cells?

Chloe x

I know it's a horrible thing to go through and very unpleasant being messed around with but try not to let it overwhelm you. It's alot more common than you think and very easily treated. If you have cin2 then they may offer you a lletz to remove the abnormal cells and that should also kick your immune system into getting rid of the hpv infection. For most people that will be that and you'll get normal smears after that.

I have had treatment as unfortunately I had early cancer found in January 2015, was awful at the time and gave me terrible anxiety but it was caught very early and fully removed. I just had my recent check up in January and all good at colposcopy and negative hpv.  

I'm so sorry to hear what you have been though. Here's me moaning about my situation and you've been through so much worse! I'm so glad to hear you've had a clear check up following treatment! 

I'm hoping they treat it at my follow up on 17th and fingers crossed that's the end of it. I've started taking certain vitimins like vitimin C, B12 and folic acid to try and boost my immune system too.

It's so hard to think the worst sometimes. I have 2 young children and couldn't bare to not see them grow up.

Thank you so much for your kind and reassuring words, I really appreciate it.

Chloe x

I completely understand how you feel. I also have 2 young children and my youngest was only one when I was diagnosed so its impossible not to panic if you're that way inclined. I was thinking the worst and that they'll be left without a mum and that massively fuelled the anxiety. It's really good you're taking vitamins and things to help, I also did that and green tea is meant to be good too. I know a few women personally who have had lletz for pre cancerous cells and never had an abnormal smear since, think it's something like 98% cure rate so very good and even better you're looking after your immune system. Good luck with your appointment, hopefully will all be sorted soon and you can put it all behind you. Remember it's great that you went for your smear and the problem was picked up early so can be quickly and easily dealt with x

Thank you, I'll let you know how it goes. Talking to you has calmed me down a little as I know it could be worse. Fingers crossed they can stop it in its tracks and I can enjoy the build up to the wedding! X