Had colposcopy yesterday and have nervous questions!

Hey. I've been poking around the forum a bit for the past few weeks since I was referred for colposcopy.

I had it done yesterday and was a bit upset after.

I had a smear last year which came back as positive for HPV but no cell changes. Because of the HPV I had a repeat smear this year (delayed five months due to covid) and it showed HPV AND abnormal cell changes this time. Based on what I read I had assumed it would be CIN1 as it progresses so slowly. I wasn't too worried. Thought it would just be a watch and wait approach and that I might clear the HPV and such.

I didnt know it was CIN2 until I went in for the colposcopy and she explained why I was referred and that it was CIN2 despite nothing being found last year. So now I'm paranoid that I have fast progression.

The procedure was fine. She took three biopsies and said I had a lot of discharge so took a sample of that as well. Does anyone know what that could be or mean?

Not sure what to make of the whole thing. I know I shouldn't worry but I just wasn't expecting to have to have cells removed already, and worried I'm not clearing the HPV. And just hoping nothing worse comes out of the biopsy results.

Anyway.  Thanks for listening. Think I just needed a mini rant.

Have read much scarier things than what I just posted on here and you are all amazing.

I think your situation is a great example of the advantages of HPV primary screening.  Before HPV screening your result would have been 'normal' and you'd have been waiting for 3-5 years (in the UK),  depending on your age. before you got another smear. But instead you've had a repeat smear well before 3-5 years (even though there was a delay) and will now get any treatment you need in good time to reduce the chances of getting cervical cancer.  Like any test the smear test is not 100% particularly when it come to cell changes; it's very possible you had a few abnormal cells when you had the first smear but they either weren't picked up either by the nurse who took the sample or the lab who analysed the sample.  Missing abnormal cells is generally not because of  incompetence it's simply the inevitable limitations of the of the test; so it's not necessarily the case that you have fast progression.

x