Colposcopy Appointment tomorrow

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would post this as I have my first colposcopy tomorrow and I am really nervous about the outcome. I have HPV and have had it for three years but no abnormal cells. I keep thinking why my body couldn’t fight of the virus , I also have anemia so I dont know if it’s because of that. I may be totally over thinking just really worried. Thankyou x

1 Like

Hi Beth!

I had the same thing. Three years of HPV, no abnormal cells. They sent me for a colposcopy in December.

It’s not too bad actually. The Colposcopist took three biopsies, said that she wasn’t concerned as it simply looked “viral” and that she’d write to me in four weeks. The biopsies aren’t that pleasant but it really isn’t that bad.

Had my results last week, CIN2 was found which I’m having treated next week by cold coagulation, according to the letter. I was a bit surprised to be told I had CIN2 in all honesty, as my smears hadn’t been showing any abnormality. But I’m not that bothered about it. It’s not cancer, it’s just abnormalities that I have to have treated.

I’m just extremely grateful that they now check for HPV in our smears, otherwise the cell changes wouldn’t have been found and that could’ve been worse.

Try not to worry too much. Hopefully your colposcopy will show no abnormality, but if it does, you can have it treated and then chances are in 6 months, your smear will come back HPV negative :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Emma,

Thankyou so much for replying and I hope your ok, why do you think the smear didnt detect CIN 2? I think for me its just the waiting and the unknown x

I think that’s the biggest problem isn’t it. The waiting and not knowing.

I honestly don’t know why the CIN2 wasn’t picked up in my smear. Perhaps it was deeper in my cervix that a smear swab wouldn’t have reached? I will be asking the Colposcopist next week about it, as if it was just simply missed, would that mean then that I’ve had very fast changing cells since my last smear? Or has the abnormality simply been missed for three years? I suppose it doesn’t really matter, it’s getting treated and that’s the main thing :slight_smile:

Let us know how you get on tomorrow!

Yeah your are right!, I will do thankyou :slightly_smiling_face: