Referred for Colposcopy but no information on why/results?

Hi hoping someone can help…

Just over a year ago, I had a routine smear and my results came back as I had HPV but no abnormal cells were found, and to come back in a year’s time for another smear.

I had one again 7 weeks ago and I’ve just received a letter through the post saying that an appointment has been made for me for a colposcopy in a month’s time… but nothing about what they’ve detected or why. Is this normal? I thought they were supposed to tell you your results and then arrange this but I technically haven’t had any results through.

I can’t get in touch with my GP practice for further info as they don’t answer the phone and I’m a bit annoyed as the nurse said to me during my appointment that if it hadn’t gone away and something had changed she would personally call me before I got anything in the post.

Hi Beth,

If you’ve been sent for a colposcopy it sounds like there might have been some cell changes.
It’s unlikely to be severe or you would have had the colposcopy appointment sooner but they might want to do a LLetz to remove the affected area.
Believe me I know this sounds scary but cell changes caught early can be easily treated and a colposcopy isn’t painful.
It’s fantastic that you have regular smears which has helped them find any changes early!

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it! I managed to get a hold of my results and I’ve got borderline changes so probably nothing to worry about. Just worries me if this was my first smear and before I’d even got my results back I was given a hospital appointment I’d be terrified, hope this hasn’t happened to someone like that :frowning:

1 Like

Hi Beth :joy: that’s exactly what happened to me!