Recurrence, Chemo/Rads

Hi Ladies,

I had stage 1b1 in 2013 and was treated with a radical hist, ovaries , lymph nodes removed. 

At the time they found microscopic cells in my paraortic lymph nodes which were removed with the initial surgery. At the time I was offered chemo rads and it was my decision whether to take it. I didn’t becuase they they couldn’t provide any data to back up whether this would decrease my percentage chances of it returning. 

Fast forward 5.5 years and it’s now back in my pelvis. It was a total bombshell after this amount of time. 

I will have a pet scan to check it’s not spread anywhere else and if it hasn’t I should be able to have chemoradiation. 

Has anyone else been in this situation and if so what should I expect from the treatment? Worrying myself it will be absolutely brutal. Also does this type of chemo make you lose your hair? 

Thank you 

Tess xxxxx 

Hi Tess,

Sorry to hear of your recurrence, that must have been shocking after so long clear.

If you will be doing the cocktail that includes taxol you will lose your hair. If not, you should be okay.

Sending positive thoughts ❤

Wendy

Thank you replying Wendy. Much appreciated xx 

Hi Tes309

I am sorry to hear about your recurrence after such a long time. You was one of the first lady’s I talked to on here when I was diagnosed. Just want to wish you luck and to say the chemo and rads are not to bad I had them after my radical hysterectomy. Can not say how brachytherapy is because I did not have any do you know if you will. I pray all will be good:-)

Hi Mmouse,

It’s lovely to hear from you. I hope you are doing ok xx

i haven’t received the treatment plan yet as have to have the Pet Scan first. I’m crossing everything that it’s contained in the pelvis. Then I will have to get on with it and kick it into touch again. 

No doubt I’ll be back with more questions.

Tess xx 

Hi there 

I had 1b1 Adenocarcinoma in Dec 2013 however had recurrence to ovary in 2015 , I then went on to have chemo ( cisplatin ) and radiation. I never lost my hair ,I think with cisplatin you should be ok with regards to keeping your hair. Funny enough hair loss was the first question I asked !! Family thought I was mad worrying about that ! Anyway I won't lie personally I found the treatment tough , but everyone is different , some people find it easier than others.  Sorry if I am waffling but I just wanted to say stay strong I am 4 years post recurrence , keeping everything crossed for you , you can kick cancers ass again !! 

Greeni 

Hi Greeni, 

Thanks for your message. I know, the hair thing sounds trivial in the grand scheme of things but I think it’s one less thing to worry about in terms of recovery. 

I had the pet scan yesterday and am meeting the oncologist tomorrow morning. So I should have a good idea then about what I’m dealing with and the treatment plan. 

I truely thought I’d be done with this 5.5 years later and had a good recovery last time. 

It’s good to know you are 4 years post recurrence. It gives me hope. 

Thanks again

Tess x 

Hi ladies, 

The scan has shown that it hasn’t spread anywhere else. I can also have cisplatin. I have the planning scan tomorrow and start treatment on the 15th..... chemo once a week for 5 weeks and radio every day for 7.5 weeks (they are giving me an extra targeted boost). 

Im super nervous but know I have to get on with it. The oncologist also said the aim of the treatment is to cure me so that is reassuring. 

I think I’ll be having an enema and tatoos tomorrow for the planning scan. Is that what they did with you.  Is there anything else I need to know about the planning scan?

Also for radio do they put you in a hospital gown? 

Thanks

Tess xx 

Good news to hear that it has not spread and the treatment is to cure you. Good luck with the chemo and radiation keep us posted on how you get along.

Pray all is good:-)

Thanks Mmouse, I’ll keep you updated xx 

Hi Tess, great news ot hasn't spread!

My oncologist and radiologist said their goal was cure and that carried me through my treatment. Their confidence gave me confidence!

The radiation planning is an easy process. I did not have an enema before getting my tattoos.

When I went in for radiation I was required to take off everything on the lower half and get under a blanket. No gown was offered as I was able to keep my shirt on.

Hope all goes well,

Wendy 

Excellent news.

Thanks ladies.

Planning scan took longer than I thought as my bladder was either over filled or under filled. It worked on the 3rd attempt. I think this bit is going to be tricky. The contrast also leaked into my arm so had a rock hard sore arm yesterday but it’s fine today. 

This is going to sounds nuts, but, I have a couple of freckles right near the planning tatoos and I keep thinking they are going to end up zapping me in the wrong place.....

Tess xx