Recurrence update

Hi ladies,

I just wanted fo provide an update in case it helps anyone else in a similar situation. 

I was original diagnosed in 2013 and was treated with a rad hysterectomy, lymph node and removal of ovaries. They found cancer in the paraaortic nodes but this was removed as part of the surgery. At the time I was offered chemo rads as  precaution but declined as there wasn’t guarantee this would increase my chances of not getting a recurrence and I also wanted to be able to have the option of this treatment should I need it in the future.

Fast forward 5.5 years and I got the dreaded news that it was back which was a massive shock after all these years.  

On Friday I completed 5 chemos and 35 external radios over a 7 week period. Back in 2013 I was super frightened of this treatment as had read many awful experiences. I know everyone’s experiences are different, but for me I had some side effects but it was doable and not half as bad as I thought it would be. 

The intention of the treatment is to cure me and they think they removed the cancer or most of it when I had an EUA. I have to wait 3 months for a scan but I’m pretty confident it’s gone. 

I just wanted to share the chemo rads haven’t been too bad and if you get a recurrence it doesn’t mean that there are not curable options available to you. I know I still have a long way to go but I hope this helps not to fear the worst. Everyone is different and treatment options are improving all the time. 

Love Tess xx 

Congrats on completing the chemorads. It’s good to hear that it wasn’t as bad as you were expecting it to be. 

I hope all is well for you in the future. 

Alice xx

Hi Tess,

Thanks for posting, I was wondering how you were doing.  I'm about half way through chemo/rads to treat recurrence, then brachy to follow.  Like you, I'm not finding the effects of the treatment too bad, either seem to be constipated or suffering diarhea but all manageable with the meds I've been given.  I found the antic-sickness drugs made me very fatigued so stopped taking them.

Good luck with your recovery!

Linda x

Thanks ladies, 

i hope you you are both doing well.

Linda I hope the remaining time of your treatment goes quick. 

Xxx 

Well done Tess! We made it! Thank you so much for writing to me every week and updating each other of our treatment, it helped me a lot. It's really great to have someone share the same experience.

Keep in touch hun xx