Cancer back after 4 months

Hi all, I’m nearly five months from my radical hysterectomy and having initially had the all clear have recently learnt the Bugger is back Bigger and angrier than before!

I’m starting chemo and radiotherapy in a couple of weeks, this has all knocked me for 6. I will fight this but does anyone else have this experience so quickly after first treatment. Doctors have said I’m that unlucky person who happens occasionally.

I will fight this with all I have as plan B if this doesn’t work sounds horrific and terrifyingly life inhibiting.

My friends and family are fab but it would be nice to talk to ladies in a similar position. I’m 35.

Thanks

Ami

Hi Ami:

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this crap again. 

This is so hard to understand. Was the recurrence picked up at a check up, or were you feeling unwell? It just seems so wrong that it could come back so quickly and bigger: I thought CC was such a slow mover. However, although it does sound unusual, I'm sure that someone on here will be able to jump in and share a similar story.

So many women on here have been successfully treated with chemo and radiation; I know you'll be one of them. Hopefully, it will all be done by Christmas so you can put this year behind you.

Keep us posted.

love t xx

Hi Ami :-)

I am distressed to read this. All I can add is that is that chemo-rads does the business! Really it does! I did chemo-rads about 4 months after surgery, I don't know why, I was not told it had returned but simply that it was 'precautionary' Either way, now that you are 4 months beyond surgery you are most likely properly recovered in which case this next bit should prove to be a breeze :-)

Do you know yet if the chemo side of things is going to be Cisplatin or something more aggressive? Cisplatin is really doable and doesn't cause hair-loss.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi ami

i am so sorry to hear that your cc has come back. You are probably still just starting to feel normal after your radical hysterectomy.  I'm currently in chemorad and it's not that bad. Hopefully this new treatment will kick your cancers ass. Did you have any symptoms or how was it found. I'm not even done treatment and I worry about recurrence. 

The good thing is they still have lots of treatments beyond your original surgery. Stay positive hon. We are all in this together!!! 

Hi Ami

I'm really sorry you've had a reoccurrence. You will manage the chemoradiation easily. Its often used instead of surgery so that shows how effective it is. 

I think maybe i take a different view on the plan b you mentioned. To me, having another option is a positive thing, whatever it is. What sounds horrific to you could be somebodys dream to have. I'm sure you won't need it, as Tivoli mentioned chemoradiation is the business! 

Good luck with the treatment, its honestly not as bad as it sounds.

Cara xxxx

Hi 

my recurrence came back after about a year or so , initially I had a radical hysterectomy but my ovarys were left , however the cancer came back to my left ovary , I had this removed and went on to have 5 weeks of chemo cisplatin and radiotherapy , im approaching 1 year clear now ( fingers crossed ) and have my next appointment on 5 th September ,

The treatment was gruelling for me personally lots of sickness but I think lots of ladies on here managed really well and like myself have had successful outcomes. 

Take care 

greeni 

Hi Greenie,

Great to hear that you have been cancer free for almost a year.  Quick question, did you loose any hair with cisplatin?

Thanks

I'm gutted to read your news ami!!

im really confused how it can come back after a hysterectomy? Where does it come back and how did you know? Was you poorly or was it found in a check up!? I assumed after a hysterectomy that would be that?

i am due to have my hysterectony on the 7th September and was really hoping to close the door on this chapte but seeing posts I'm starting to panic again :(

hope your ok sweetie xxx 

Hi Michelle :-)

Try not to worry yourself, it really is pretty rare for this to recur after surgery. The vast majority of women are completely cured after their first treatment, whether that is surgery or chemo-radiation but it's great that in the unlikely event that it does return, there are other tools available with which to fight it.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

So sorry to hear this. There are lots of positive stories on here from women who have had chemo-radiation.

I too am curious about how they picked this up and also how they picked up yours on your ovary Greeni?

I had a radical hysterectomy with ovary conservation almost two months ago. I was told there is a 5% recurrence rather, but that I wouldn't have any more scans as they are not useful. Do they pick it up by touch? 

So sorry to hear this. There are lots of positive stories on here from women who have had chemo-radiation.

I too am curious about how they picked this up and also how they picked up yours on your ovary Greeni?

I had a radical hysterectomy with ovary conservation almost two months ago. I was told there is a 5% recurrence rather, but that I wouldn't have any more scans as they are not useful. Do they pick it up by touch? 

Hi Michelle,

I had some cysts post op so was having regular scans, never really felt great and on one scan there it was suddenly.

It's located in the vault of my vagina  the bladder.

I am the exception Michelle not the rule, so as the other ladies say don't stress about things too much (easier said than done)!

Good luck on the 7th

Ami xx

Hi Tivoli

I'm having the Cisplatin.  Really hopeful that this will kick the cancer out once and for all.

Thanks for the support

Ami

Hi Cara,

I'm hoping plan B isn't needed!  It would be bladder, bowel and vagina removal.  Which currently sounds quite horrific to me personally.

But I will cross that bridge when and if it happens.

Thanks for following the reassuranc.

Ami x

Hi

I had cysts post op, so have been having regular scans, which is how it was picked up so quickly.

I've not been right since the radical hysterectomy, as the tumour this time is affecting my ureter.  The kidney stent Hs helped with that.  

Just want the treatment to start so I can get rid of it and get on with my life xx

Hi Ami Lou,

A pelvic exenteration it's called...I had one 6 weeks ago. I count myself lucky to be alive. You're right in that it's pretty horrific but it was my best chance so had to grab it with both hands as strange as that sounds. 

Your chemo/radiation will fly by and hopefully you'll get through it without any troubles. The doctors will soon prescribe you medication if you were to have any issues...they keep a close eye on you. Sorry to hear it came back so quick but great that you still have the option of chemo/radiation. Good luck with it all :)

Love Cara xxx

Hi 

with regards to the cisplatin , no I didn't loose my hair , I think with cisplatin the majority of people keep there hair .

The cyst on my ovary was found after a routine 12 month post hysterectomy CT scan , my oncology consultant said reaching 12 months is quite important so sent me off for a scan.  I never had any symptoms of the " cyst" and felt really well, I was told the cyst was large but looked OK and so was left nearly 3 months before they operated it was then it was identified as cervical cancer recurrence .  I have been told recurrence to the ovary is super rare , 1% of people this happens to. 

greeni 

xx 

Hi Greeni :-)

Is that 1% of recurrences or 1% of Cervical Cancer patients do you know? It's odd though, I was thinking about this over the weekend, there are two kinds of cervical cancer; squamous and non-squamous. I know that some people get mets to the lungs and I know that lungs are made of squamous cells. It got me thinking, are women who have squamous cell cervical cancer more likely to get mets to the lungs and are adenocarcinoma patients more likely to get a recurrence in the ovaries? I'm not expecting you to know the answer to that but hoped somebody might be in a position to ask their consultant and let me know.

Cheers!
Tivoli

Hi Tivioli My consultant said that my adenocarcinoma would most likely come back in the pelvis and not in the lungs etc despite it already beeing in my paraaortic nodes. So maybe the two different types spread differently. 

Jayne

Thanks Jayne, that seems to confirm my hypothesis :-)