Really worried help

So last year, I had my 3 yearly regular smear which shown HPV Positive and borderline changes, I went for a colposcopy where no treatment was done and they just wanted the smear repeated in 12 months. Fast forward to now, I had my smear about 3-4 weeks ago, popped in the drs this morning for my depo so I asked if any results were back, where she said yes they were uploaded to their system yesterday. Now it’s showing HPV positive again, with severe high grade changes. I’m so worried at such a huge change in the cells in 12 months!? Has anyone else had this?? I haven’t received any letter yet, she said the hospital are writing to me. I’m just so worried.

I have had a biopsy taken for my colposcopy and the smear said borderline. I’m waiting for results. It can be different to the smear as it’s more accurate at a colposcopy.

1 Like

My smear said borderline 12 months ago, and no treatment was then needed when I was sent for the colposcopy just another smear in 12 months. I’m just really worried that in 12 months it’s gone from borderline to severe :frowning:

It does make me wonder if they do different things for different people. I’m 38 and have had two children. They asked if I have children at the appointment but they didn’t ask about my relationship status but I am registered as Mrs still.

1 Like

I’m 29, and have three children. Both times the smears have been the same procedure, HPV positive and borderline changes and sent to colposcopy with no treatment. 12 months later HPV positive but severe high risk changes. I know with HPV they said if you’re positive it can develop into cancer in many years to come if not monitored, for me it’s the worry of how fast the changes have happened. I was just wondering if anyone else had had similar and what happened

I guess when thinking about time taken to progress it’s more to do with detection than progression. I really don’t know x

Also do you mean no treatment as in they didn’t take biopsies?

Nope not 12 months ago they didn’t. They just wanted a smear repeated in 12 months which takes me to now

I think that might be behind the apparent fast change from borderline to high grade. A biopsy could have identified it earlier.

They can only go on what they can see at the time.

Smears aren’t completely accurate. Mine said no cell changes, just HPV positive, for three years. Had a colposcopy in December and biopsies showed I had CIN2. Had cold coagulation today to treat it. The Colposcopist said today that she wasn’t expecting CIN2 when I had my colposcopy. Just goes to show that biopsies are going to give the most accurate results. Could be that I’ve had CIN2 for ages, but the smear hadn’t picked it up.

2 Likes

What was the reason you had the colposcopy? Just because you’ve been HPV positive for a while?
Yeah I get they aren’t always accurate, I suppose naturally you can’t help but worry can you :see_no_evil: I kinda wish they’d have done something more when I went for the colposcopy last year but I suppose they do what they think is necessary when they see you at that time dont they x

My smear was normal last time. But was a year overdue to covid. So I got my routine smear just before Christmas. HPV positive for the first time and abnormal cells. Had colposcopy last Friday where the took biopsies and I go next Friday for results it’s a worrying time: I hope you get some answers x

1 Like

That’s a fast turnaround X I hope mine is fast too

2 Likes

Let us know what your results are! I’m really annoyed as to why I wasn’t offered a biopsy 12 months ago! I’m so nervous because of the huge change in the cells in 12 months :frowning: I’m trying not to think the worse but it’s hard not to!
Did the biopsy hurt at all? I assume I’ll have all this done this time!!! X

1 Like

It was ok as I had ibruprofen before it in case and the nurses kept me chatting about my dog x

Hi,

Because I’ve had three years of HPV positive, no abnormal cells, results, they sent me for a colposcopy to have a more thorough check. The Colposcopist said she expected to see some areas that she’d want to take biopsies of, even though my smears have shown no cell changes. Sure enough, she took three biopsies. I guess it depends what they see on the screen. If it’s suspected low grade, they will often wait to see if it clears by itself, which has happened with me in the past. My first smear 12/13 years ago had borderline changes, had a smear 6 months later and it had cleared. They’ve been clear every since, just showing HPV since they started screening it for it.

Do you know, I wasn’t actually worried. Even though she took biopsies (that yes, were a bit uncomfortable but bearable), I was thankful that I was being seen and if anything was to come back, I’d be treated for it. The Colposcopist said she thought it just looked “viral” and would be happy to discharge me, so I wasn’t expecting CIN2 to be honest, and from what she said today, I don’t think she did either. But again, it hasn’t really phased me. It’s not cancer. I’ve had it treated, I’ll have another smear in 6 months, and I’ll be kept an eye on.

Try not to worry too much over this. I know it’s easier said than done. It’s probably not the case that your borderline changes have become high grade in a year, likely that it just wasn’t picked up, especially if you didn’t have biopsies. But it has been picked up now, so you can have biopsies and treatment if necessary. I had cold coagulation today, which wasn’t too bad. Not going to lie, the local anaesthetic was quite horrible, but the treatment itself was completely painless and over very quickly. Just have cramping and watery, bloody discharge. But it’s a small price to pay for the sake of my health.

My friend had her results today from her LLETZ treatment she had in December. When she had her smear last year, they detected HPV and CIN2. She had biopsies that said the same, so had LLETZ treatment to remove the cells. Her LLETZ came back as CIN1, so lower grade than her biopsy. Perhaps it could be that the initial biopsy removed the worst of the abnormal cells? I don’t know. But what I’m saying is, don’t worry about what your smear says until you have further information from your next colposcopy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s really helpful to hear, thankyou.

1 Like

No it didn’t really hurt, I made it worse as I was anxious. But in reality it wasn’t too bad and the doctor was very nice and calming x

UPDATE -

Just to let you know I received my letter yesterday from the hospital saying that the first available appointment with the consultant has been made for next Tuesday at 9am (8th Feb) so I’ll let you know how it goes xx

1 Like