Really worried help

That’s great news! Xx

1 Like

Hello just sharing my experience any thoughts welcome!. Had my smear on 29/11/21 results back on 14/12/21 saying HPV positive with borderline changes. Coloposcpy on 14/01/22 and 3 biopsies taken. Results in today saying ‘colposcopic examination suggests CIN1 - unfortunately the biopsies have been reported as an inadequate sample’. No further treatment required. Next cervical screening in a year!! I’m going to be calling my GP for her to explain!

Yes, do get someone to explain. I don’t think health professions realise how confusing and upsetting some of the partial messages are that you get in these letters. As CIN1 often goes away on it’s own, it sounds like although the sample wasn’t good it’s considered that the best thing is to wait and monitor, and see what happens of the course of the next year. But yes, please get someone to explain the situation to you.

2 Likes

I went back yesterday. So biopsies clear, abnormal cells where CIN3, removed with LLETZ and go back in 6 months for follow up smear x

2 Likes

Glad you’re results were okay. My app is Tuesday, however I’ve currently got Covid so im unsure if im going to be able to go!

1 Like

For two years in a row I had HPV+/no cell changes, then this year (only 12 months after my last smear) I am HPV+ with high grade cell changes. :sob: it’s worrying how fast that happened, and I wonder if a previous smear missed earlier cell changes.
I’ve had a biopsy taken and waiting for LLETZ under general anaesthetic. Trying not to worry but negative throughs keep creeping in.

Hi I’m the same as you, last year it was HPV + and borderline cell changes. This year 12 months later, it’s HPV+ and severe high grade changes.
How long did it take for your biopsy to come back and what did it say?
I had 4 taken yesterday so now it’s the waiting game xx

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear you have developed severe high grade changes in 12 months too. But it’s possible that our previous smears didn’t provide an accurate enough picture as they are of course just a sample of the cells, so our changes may not have been as rapid as we think. Despite this I am really anxious and worried, but keep telling myself that at least the cell changes we have have been picked up and can be treated.

I had one biopsy taken last Thursday (I found it really painful so couldn’t have tolerated 4, you are very brave!) so I haven’t had results yet. They seemed to think I would get the results within 2/3 weeks. I am in Wales so the waiting times may be different if you are elsewhere in the UK. Waiting is very difficult isn’t it. :frowning: I know I need LLETZ though- they said I can have this in 3/4 weeks under GA. Don’t know if they will wait for the biopsy first.

1 Like

I know, it’s so so difficult to not worry and think the worse :frowning: especially with such a big change, a few people have said maybe the smear 12 months ago never picked it up, but to that extent you’d think they would. They said around 3-4 weeks for my results of the biopsies, yes it was VERY uncomfortable, she was only going to take 1 and ended up taking 4, I’m unsure why. I asked her what the plan for treatment would be, and she wouldn’t really say, the ONLY thing she said was that they need to make sure I’m done having children and I’m not sure what she meant by this (I’m 29 with 3 daughters) and wouldn’t elaborate she just said let’s just wait and see what the results say first. So I’m clueless!

Keep me posted on your results xx

1 Like

It is so hard not to worry and yes you would hope the smear would pick up a change if it was there 12 months ago. It’s difficult being given vague information by doctors and feeling in limbo because you don’t know whats going on in your own body.

At least you having more biopsies taken will give them a clearer picture of what changes you have and what treatment is needed so it can only be a good thing. I think my doctor would have taken more biopsies if I wasn’t so stressed by the procedure.
I think for most people it sounds like they wait for the biopsy results before deciding on treatment, so don’t think the worst.

How are you feeling after your biopsies?

Keep me updated on your results too xx

Hi all,

I had something similar, 3 years of persistent HPV and my smear in December came back with borderline changes. Had my colposcopy last month and a biopsy was taken. This came back as CIN3 so im guessing cell changes were missed in the last few years.

Im booked in for LLETZ next Monday and so scared of the procedure and potential side effects!

@emilymay92 the dr said to me that after having LLETZ then pregnancy comes with a higher risk, I never asked what that risk was as I’m 43, have 3 boys youngest 16 and 2 step children so think I’m passed having anymore now, but they should have explained that, you are still young x

Hi @LJ546 i got my LLETZ done last Friday to remove CIN3 and like you I was very anxious. Mines was carried out with Local anaesthetic, the doctor was great and talked me through everything that would happen, and the nurse let me squeeze her hand when getting the injection, was only a slight nip and not too pain ful. So far I have not had any side effects, except today I’ve had some bleeding and a small clot, however I often bleed in between periods and have clots, so I don’t know if that’s just my normal body activity or because of the procedure. Try not to worry about the procedure at all. Hope it all goes well for you x

Hey ladies
So I had my smear results back on Saturday and it came back as HPV positive and high grade severe cin3
I’m booked in for a colonoscopy in 2 weeks time and I’m very scared
Any advice ?

Hi all, I received a appointment for colposcopy urgent within 2 weeks on Saturday after my smear on 18th feb. My appointment is on 21st March. My smear results letter says hpv+ and abnormal cells which will require treatment. That is all it says nothing about cin or anything just abnormal cells requires treatment. Is that normal?? I’m quite concerned that there is no other information about the cells

They will probably take biopsies, that’s what happened to me when mine said high grade, I then had to wait for the results of the biopsies and then had to go back in for further treatment x

They didn’t tell me the CIN grade until after the biopsies were taken. The smear letter is just an indication x

Have you had biopsies taken?
I didn’t get what CIN Grade is was until after the biopsies were taken.
Mine came back CIN 3, I’ve just had to have Loop cone something. I’m not gunna lie it was an awful experience, I’m now just waiting for those results to come back now x