Really terrified

Hello everyone, I’m absolutely terrified at the moment and have found this community online so hoping it’ll help! I’m 30 and I’ve always has normal smears until I had my results for my latest one 2 days ago. My letter just says it’s an abnormal result and I’ll receive a letter within a few weeks to go for a colposcopy appointment - no more information than that!

I had some bleeding between periods 4 years ago which doctors didn’t take very seriously, but I got tested for various things and all results were fine. The bleeding cleared up on its own and I had a normal smear result a year later.

Now, however, the worrying starts again and it’s all I can think about. Has anyone else had such a vague letter? I’m going on holiday to Florida for a fortnight in 6 and a half weeks - is there a chance that I won’t be able to go or will be bleeding the whole time I’m there if I have to have cells removed? I’m even worried about how it’ll affect my fertility, and I don’t even know the results yet! Does an abnormal result definitely mean HPV/CIN/cancer or can it be caused by something else?

Any advice would be very gratefully received… I’m terrified!

hi anxiousbear,

I had exact same letter in February, I know exactly how you feel, it sent me into a right spin! I had it going round in my head constantly 'an abnormal result' I then had a letter for colposcopy a few days later. I went to my appointment not having a clue what was going to happen, I was so frightened. I ended up having lletz treatment there and then which took around 5-10 minutes and the procedure was absolutely fine!

still to this day I'm not to sure what my result was because my results letter after my lletz only said biopsy showed abnormality predicted in smear an to go back to colposcopy in 6 months (which is next month) I've phoned clinic and my doctor an that's all I know it's something to do with my glandular cells but they wasn't pre cancerous my doctor said, something about them being to low down in my cervix? it's all so confusing.

if you have any questions just feel free to ask hun, I know exactly how anxious an scared an confused you must be xx

Hi Anxious Bear:

So glad you found us!

From what I've read on here, everyone's letters are vague.  All they say is that the pap was abnormal and that a follow up colposcopy will be needed. Some women call their doctors and see if they can get more details. The colposcopy will give you much more info as to what is happening.

So, what could it be? Most likely, it will be some stage of CIN or maybe CGIN that they want to nuke, either there and then, or at a later date. Right now, it's all speculation which is obviously very worrying.

Try and only deal with what you know. You've had an abnormal smear and you're going to have a colposcopy. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Keep focussing on that. It's very easy to start going down the speculation path - try really hard not to. 

Everyone on here has been where you are now, so we all understand how you feel and I know tons of women will jump on to support you. Read some of the other posts and you'll see how we all try and cope with this. Everyone is different, but one thing we all agree on is that waiting sucks.

Take care

t x

Hi everypone, thanks for your lovely comments. Just thought I'd give an update... I went for my colposcopy yesterday and was told that the abnormalities have been found in my glandular cells which is uncommon. I had LLETZ treatment then and there and the consultant said he'd taken out any abnormal areas he could say, as well as taking a biopsy from the lining of the womb. For those of you worried about having the LLETZ procedure under local anaesthetic, it was uncomfortable but definitely bearable. I didn't feel the needle going in - the worst pain at the time and since has been the stomach cramps which feel like a bad period. 

So now I need to wait for the results... the consultant is confident that he's taken everything out and that he couldn't see anything nasty apart from the abnormal cells. He said best case scenario is that they'll call me back for a colposcopy in 6 months, but he needs to wait to see what the results say. 

From reading posts on the forum, glandular abnormalities don't seem to be very common! Kirsty, it's quite a coincidence that you had the same issue and commented on my thread - I hope everything works out ok for you. Has anyone else had a similar experience with abnormalities in the glandular cells? If so, what did your results say when they came back? 

Waiting is the worst, isn't it?!