Radical hysterectomy planned, so scared by everything

I had a routine smear test a month ago. In 4 weeks I have had an abnormal result, a colposcopy and biopsies taken, diagnosis of cancer, a CT, an MRI and 1st appt at the Royal Marsden. It's all happened so quick I don't even know where my head is. Dr at the Marsden yesterday said the scan results hadn't reached them yet so they don’t even know what stage or where it is but he is planning a radical hysterectomy in 4 weeks time. I'm going back next Tuesday for scan results and all the pre op tests. I'm so scared of the results. I'm trying to be positive but I just feel so lost and empty. 

I'm also worried about the hysterectomy. I've had abdominal surgery before that didn't go to plan and I'm scared this will go wrong . I'm also worried about menopause. Does it just hit you as soon as you wake up from surgery without your ovary? I'm 45 and so not ready for it yet. 

I'm in a whirlwind and I don't know what to do. This is happening too fast for me to even process it.

Sorry for the rambling 

Hi Hippjo

Can totally understand how you feel, we all felt exactly the same when it happened.  Mine was found out from a routine smear too and I was staged at 1b1.  I had a Radical Hysterectomy too.  Try not to worry about that too much, there is no reason to think that this won't go to plan like your previous surgery.

Things will slow down a bit when you are waiting for your surgery, this is the time to do nice things and treat yourself.  Your mind does feel in a whirlwind but once the treatment plan starts you do start to feel better about it as you know something is being done to treat it.

Yes, it is scary but you'll get through it one day at a time and the support from the ladies on this site is amazing.  We will be with you every step of the journey, listen to you when you need a rant and be there when you need a bit of tlc. 

Anything you want to know feel free to pm me anytime.  I'm afraid I can't advise you on the menopause bit - I was 57 when it happened to me and had finished the menopause.  I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise you on that and there is a section on coping with menopause.

Please be reassurred you are not alone, we will all help you through this.  Keep us posted how you get on.

Big hugs

Cheryl,xx 

Hi there, 

I am 43 and 12 days post RH. I had all your fears going into the surgery. I got totally hung up on the menopause thing too. All I can say, from my perspective, is that I did not need to worry so much. I have not had any menopausal symptoms....yet. That is shelved for now as I focus on physically recovering. The first few days were painful and uncomfortable and make sure you have your helpers lined up but I am so amazed that after only 2 weeks I am just left with these tiny scars from the laproscopy and I am moving about well with the exception of being tired in the evening. The plan for dealing with the lack of oestrogen is to be sure to focus on physical fitness. I will do HRT if I really feel the need for it, but otherwise my main concern is maintaining bone density (which you would have to do anyway when you naturally hit menopause). My surgeon recommends weight bearing exercise - beginning only after the 12 week recovery, mind you!

Please think about the need to have the surgery - this is necessary and will be great for you in the long run. You want to prevent the cancer from ever returning and get that HPV or whatever out of your system. You are 45 and you can function just fine without any of those pieces. I hope I am not being too blunt but part of my problem was just not being real with myself. You can do this. 

Best of luck - 

Ali

Thanks guys

This site is amazing. It really helps to know that I'm not alone, everyone has felt the same. It doesn't help the sheer terror of it all go away but it helps me realise that it's normal and others are going through the same thing and it's ok to feel like that .

Reading that people have gone through this and come out the other side is a big boost. 

Here's to everyone beating this

Xx